Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/08 20:28:42 UTC

version 1.2 vs 2 properties files thoughts

I initially thought of adding a

version=2

to our Log4j 2 properties file format.

I am experimenting with code to read in 1.2 properties files to configure
Log4j 2, and I'd like an easy way to tell if I'm dealing with a version 2
properly file. I thought that would be cleaner that looking for
"log4j.rootLogger" and deciding that means 1.2.

I was thinking of putting a new ConfigurationFactory in log4j-api which
means it would kick in automatically if on the CP. It could look for a
log4j.rootLogger and do nothing if it does not find one.

But would Log4j 2 then init itself correctly?

I'm only thinking simple cases at first, you gotta start somewhere: Console.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: version 1.2 vs 2 properties files thoughts

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
You should be able to tell just by looking for “log4j.” as the prefix. Log4j 2 doesn’t do that anywhere.

Ralph

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.