Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org> on 2006/01/21 15:02:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: r370856 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/ldap/util_ldap.c

On 01/20/2006 05:53 PM, bnicholes@apache.org wrote:
> Author: bnicholes

[..cut..]

> +        /* always default to LDAP V3 */
> +        ldap_set_option(ldc->ldap, LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, &version);
> +
>          /* set client certificates */
>          if (!apr_is_empty_array(ldc->client_certs)) {
>              apr_ldap_set_option(ldc->pool, ldc->ldap, APR_LDAP_OPT_TLS_CERT,

Just curious. Any particular reason why we sometimes use ldap_set_option and sometimes
apr_ldap_set_option in util_ldap.c?

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: svn commit: r370856 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/ldap/util_ldap.c

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 01/23/2006 04:52 AM, Brad Nicholes wrote:

> rpluem@apache.org wrote:

>>Just curious. Any particular reason why we sometimes use ldap_set_option and
>>sometimes
>>apr_ldap_set_option in util_ldap.c?
>>

> No real good reason other than the calls to ldap_set_option() predate the existence of apr_ldap_set_option()
> and were never converted.  The reason why apr_ldap_set_option() was created was to abstract the differences
> in the way that starting TLS/SSL happened for each LDAP SDK.  Since ldap options such as LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION
> were common among all of the SDKs, there was just no compelling reason to convert the existing call.

Thanks for clarification. I already thought that something like that could be the reason :).

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: svn commit: r370856 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/ldap/util_ldap.c

Posted by Brad Nicholes <bn...@novell.com>.
rpluem@apache.org wrote:

> On 01/20/2006 05:53 PM, bnicholes@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: bnicholes
>
> [..cut..]
>

>> +        /* always default to LDAP V3 */
>> +        ldap_set_option(ldc->ldap, LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION, &version);
>> +
>>          /* set client certificates */
>>          if (!apr_is_empty_array(ldc->client_certs)) {
>>              apr_ldap_set_option(ldc->pool, ldc->ldap, APR_LDAP_OPT_TLS_CERT,
>
> Just curious. Any particular reason why we sometimes use ldap_set_option and
> sometimes
> apr_ldap_set_option in util_ldap.c?
>
> Regards
>
> Rüdige

No real good reason other than the calls to ldap_set_option() predate the existence of apr_ldap_set_option() and were never converted.  The reason why apr_ldap_set_option() was created was to abstract the differences in the way that starting TLS/SSL happened for each LDAP SDK.  Since ldap options such as LDAP_OPT_PROTOCOL_VERSION were common among all of the SDKs, there was just no compelling reason to convert the existing call.

Brad