Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org> on 2015/10/15 00:11:35 UTC

GIT branch audit

Igniters,

I just looked at our GIT and it looks like we have 100s of branches there,
mostly for legacy reasons, in my view. The new development process does not
require creating many branches anymore.

Would be nice if someone could do a branch audit and delete all the
branches for which tickets have been closed.

Also, we should send the list of some stale branches here, and have the
community  comment on whether they can be deleted.

Thanks,
D.

Re: GIT branch audit

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.
Artem, sounds  good.
Maybe we should add "Reason for deletion"?

--
Alexey Kuznetsov
GridGain Systems

Re: GIT branch audit

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Branch deletion moratorium is a temp. thing. Should be lifted once they figure
out a couple of things... Shouldn't be set in the first place, IMO

Re: GIT branch audit

Posted by Artem Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.
Igniters,

Re: GIT branch audit

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@gridgain.com>.
Thanks Artem,

Re: GIT branch audit

Posted by Artem Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.
Folks,

Re: GIT branch audit

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 03:17PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 03:11PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> > > Igniters,
> > >
> > > I just looked at our GIT and it looks like we have 100s of branches
> > there,
> > > mostly for legacy reasons, in my view. The new development process does
> > not
> > > require creating many branches anymore.
> > >

> > > Would be nice if someone could do a branch audit and delete all the
> > > branches for which tickets have been closed.
> > >
> > > Also, we should send the list of some stale branches here, and have the
> > > community  comment on whether they can be deleted.
> >
> > Or perhaps we can start with everyone taking a look and simply removing the
> > branches belongs to the person and no longer needed. Then only audit the
> > leftovers, which might be faster and simpler?
>

> I think we could end up with everyone doing the same thing then. There is
> no way folks will remember which branch belongs to them by simply looking
> at the branch number.

Hmmm, ok then ;)

Re: GIT branch audit

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.