Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/13 03:27:25 UTC

Is Lucene's DrillSideways something suitable for Solr?

Hello,

Lucene seems to get a new DrillSideways functionality on top of its own
facet implementation.

I would love to have something like that in Solr, as I bet anybody with
multi-select facets. I am currently using exclusion tags, but it is quite
clunky.

Any ideas on whether there are any thoughts on incorporating this into Solr
officially?

Regards,
   Alex.
- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)

Re: Is Lucene's DrillSideways something suitable for Solr?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch
> <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Lucene seems to get a new DrillSideways functionality on top of its own
>> facet implementation.
>>
>> I would love to have something like that in Solr
>
> Solr has had multi-select faceting for 4 years now.
> My understanding of DrillSideways is that it implements the same type
> of thing for Lucene faceting module (which Solr doesn't use).
>
> There's implementation (which DrillSideways is), and interface (which
> for Solr means tagging / excluding filters).
> If you have any ideas around improving the Solr interface for
> multi-select faceting, please share them!

Actually DrillSideways is independent of multi-select.

Ie, it's useful to have the sideways counts for a drill-down field,
whether your UI offers single or multi select for a given dimension.

DrillSideways.java is a different implementation (minShouldMatch=N-1
query w/ custom collector to separate hit from near-miss) than Solr
(tagging/excluding filters), and also a different interface.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: Is Lucene's DrillSideways something suitable for Solr?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com>.
<ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lucene seems to get a new DrillSideways functionality on top of its own
> facet implementation.
>
> I would love to have something like that in Solr

Solr has had multi-select faceting for 4 years now.
My understanding of DrillSideways is that it implements the same type
of thing for Lucene faceting module (which Solr doesn't use).

There's implementation (which DrillSideways is), and interface (which
for Solr means tagging / excluding filters).
If you have any ideas around improving the Solr interface for
multi-select faceting, please share them!

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com