Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org> on 2011/04/01 15:34:24 UTC

Logo

I was looking through list archives and didn't see that we ever decided on
a logo.  I think it would be good to get one finalized and committed to
the site repository so that we can begin to finish the website.  Anyone
want to narrow the candidates or propose a new logo?

-Matt

Re: Logo

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

>>> http://people.apache.org/~ate/rave/logo/rave_logo_concept_2.jpg
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ate/rave/logo/rave_logo_concept_3.jpg
>>>
>>> - white label design by Scott Wilson:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~ate/rave/logo/rave.png
>>>
>>> Rolf van der Steen from Hippo also is available for further help
>>> designing/refining the Rave logo (I'll ask him to sign up to this list
>>> too).
>>
>> I'd love to see something from Rolf merging his ideas in concept 2
>> and/or 3 with those of Scotts white label interpretation.
>
> Although he might want to wait until we've seen Marlons offerings. There may be
> something we like even more in there ;-)

I already told him :)
(he's sitting across the table here)

Re: Logo

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Of the smaller logos, I prefer simplestyle2.jpg.  The font choice credit
goes to Barbara Hallock.

Marlon

Re: Logo

Posted by Niels van Dijk <ni...@surfnet.nl>.
Both logos are fine with me.

Cheers,
Niels

Re: Logo

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Rolf van der Steen <r....@1hippo.com>.
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 13/04/2011 16:56, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>

>>> http://people.apache.org/~ate/rave/logo/rave_logo_simplestyle1.jpg
>>>

>> I really like simplestyle1.  I think it really jumps out at you.  Very
>> sleek.
>>

> +1 I really like - great impact.
>
> I suspect this would also work really well as an Icon. Square like
> http://people.apache.org/~ate/rave/logo/rave_logo_appstyle.jpg but without
> the feather and with just the "white label" part of the record.

It does, i've been playing around with that idea too. For a logo -
especially in web-enviroments - the square format doesn't work that well (to
display it at a readable size it uses a lot of vertical space in the
header). But if the simplestyle1 is going to be the choosen logo, I'd be
happy to make an accompanying icon variant.

Re: Logo

Posted by Maarten Kremers <ma...@surfnet.nl>.
On 14-04-11 10:43, Unico Hommes wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> +1 I really like - great impact.
>> +1, really nice
> +1 great logo
>
> --
> Unico

Also +1 for simple style 1. Looks great!

Regards,
 Maarten

Re: Logo

Posted by Unico Hommes <u....@onehippo.com>.
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I really like simplestyle1.  I think it really jumps out at you.  Very
>>> sleek.
>>
>> +1 I really like - great impact.
>
> +1, really nice

+1 great logo

--
Unico

Re: Logo

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Le 13/04/11 18:02, Ross Gardler a écrit :
> On 13/04/2011 16:56, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>

>>> http://people.apache.org/~ate/rave/logo/rave_logo_simplestyle1.jpg
>>
>> I really like simplestyle1.  I think it really jumps out at you.  Very
>> sleek.
>
> +1 I really like - great impact.

+1, really nice

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net

Re: Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Using the feather as the needle? Very creative. I like the idea :).

Hadrian

Re: Logo

Posted by Sander van der Waal <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Marlon Pierce <mp...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Goodness, I am speechless.

Re: Logo

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Rolf van der Steen <r....@1hippo.com>.

RE: Logo

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.
Hi Rolf,

I don't see any attachment (and I checked with Matt too - he didn't see anything either) - could you please post you're latest revisions on the web somewhere?

Thanks!

--Jesse

 *   First of all I bumped up the resolution. Now I've got a file which allows hi-res printing of the logo up to 10cm.
 *   Next I did some tweaking based on your comments. There was a preference for simplestyle1 but main comment was that it is too heavy. I agree; the side-elements 'overruled' the word RAVE. I styled the side-elements as an 'average' of simplestyle1 and 2.

--
www.onehippo.com<http://www.onehippo.com/>  *  www.onehippo.org<http://www.onehippo.org/>  *  info@onehippo.com<ma...@onehippo.com>

Re: Logo

Posted by Rolf van der Steen <r....@1hippo.com>.
All,
Thnx for the positive feedback!
I did some more work. Here's an update.

   - First of all I bumped up the resolution. Now I've got a file which
   allows hi-res printing of the logo up to 10cm.
   - Next I did some tweaking based on your comments. There was a preference
   for simplestyle1 but main comment was that it is too heavy. I agree; the
   side-elements 'overruled' the word RAVE. I styled the side-elements as an
   'average' of simplestyle1 and 2.
   - I also used a nice bright red for the 'hole'. I was kind of reluctant
   at first (because indeed I thought the hole should be black or dark grey),
   but the red actually works really well.
   - I also looked at the Apache project branding requirements. Based on
   that I included the "™" symbol and created "powered by" and "inside"

Re: Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Ate,

Re: Logo

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 13 Apr 2011, at 18:24, Ciancetta, Jesse E. wrote:

>>> I really like simplestyle1.  I think it really jumps out at you.  Very
>>> sleek.
>>
>> +1 I really like - great impact.
>
> +1 from me on this one too.
>
> I had a thought though when I saw it -- I was wondering if it might be cool to have an outward facing speaker on either side of the logo pounding out some sound waves in the spirit of what I'd imagine a Rave to be like (since I've never actually been to one).

+1 from me too, this is a really nice logo.

(Now... can you design one for Apache Wookie too? ;-)

RE: Logo

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.

RE: Logo

Posted by "Carlucci, Tony" <ac...@mitre.org>.
+1 simplestyle1

---
Anthony Carlucci | SW App Dev Eng, Sr. | R501 / KW App Development & Maint
e: acarlucci@mitre.org | v: 781.271.2432 | f: 781.271.3299
The MITRE Corporation | 202 Burlington Rd | Bedford, MA 01730-1420

Re: Logo

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Logo

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: Logo

Posted by Rolf van der Steen <r....@1hippo.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Logo

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
They all look kinda too black for me. Simplicity is good.

My $0.02,
Hadrian

Re: Logo

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
One of our designers is going to take a crack at a logo for the contest as
well.  I will put it out on people as soon as I have it.

-Matt

Re: Logo

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Logo