Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Q. Werty" <q....@laposte.net> on 2002/08/26 16:42:32 UTC

Context management and virtual host

I'am looking for a way to manage all contexts installed on my
server.
I've got numerous virtual hosts and I'like NOT to install
manager context in all virtual hosts. How can I do?
- Is it possible to install a "cross-host" context in Tomcat?
- I saw the administration interface in Tomcat 4.1 beta. It's a
very great work, this interface enable to see/add/remove all
contexts accross all virtual hosts. I thought it was what I was
looking for but apparently there's nothing to start/stop/reload
context. Is it planned for final version?

Thanks in advance for any response

Accédez au courrier électronique de La Poste : www.laposte.net ; 3615 LAPOSTENET (0,13 €/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34€/mn)"

Re: Context management and virtual host

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
There is no current support for a manager webapp that works cross-host.
The people I know using multiple virtual hosts haven't had any problems
with the notion of installing manager in each host (usually with a unique
username/password if you allow the virtual host users to manage their own
webapps).

Admin webapp support for contexts is primarily for tweaking existing
config properties.  I view manager as the standard mechanism for dynamic
starting and stopping of webapps, in addition to deploying, undeploying,
and reloading.  Although the "user interface" of manager is quite limited,
it is expressly designed to be used by tools -- such as the Ant custom
tasks included in Tomcat 4.1, and the version of deploytool shipped with
the JWSDP <http://java.sun.com/webservices/>.

People building plugins for IDEs should really be integrating support for
manager commands instead of trying to embed Tomcat inside their
environments.  They'd find it a lot easier.

Craig