Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2012/02/01 01:21:33 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] New Website

: So, I'd suggest everyone give it a pass through, fix items as they see
: them and/or otherwise pitch in and help, because I'm tired of our
: current site and how poor it makes us look.

Grant: my one concern is how the Solr tutorial currently looks,
particularly related to inline code and bulk code blocks...

http://lucene.staging.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

to clarify: i think ultimatley the tutorial shouldn't be part of the site
itself, because i think that should remain "unversioned" and the tutorial
should move into "version specific" documentation of some kind (ie: maybe
just a javadoc doc-files or some other file under the solr dev tree). ...
but we can worry about that seperately.

my real concern is that the tutorial serves as a good indicator of how
inline and block code elements seem to be handled by the new CMS markup
and our templates -- and that worries me for our ability to move
forward writing docs/news/examples in the CMS given how poorly it seems to
be handled in the tutorial right now.

places where there should be inlined 'code' in a fixed width
font, ie...

> Begin by unziping the Solr release and changing your working directory
> to be the "<code>example</code>" directory.  (Note that the base
> directory name may vary with the version of Solr downloaded.)  For
> example, with a shell in UNIX, Cygwin, or MacOS:

...is instead showing up as indented code blocks with a colored
background.

Meanwhile, places where there should be indented code blocks with a
colored background...

<source>
user:~solr$ *ls*
solr-nightly.zip
user:~solr$ *unzip -q solr-nightly.zip*
user:~solr$ *cd solr-nightly/example/*
</source>

...is showing up as a single line of text in a regular variable width
font.

I don't know if the problem is:
 * the markup processing engine
 * our use of the markup
 * our templates
 * our css

...but it seems like we should figure that out.

-Hoss

Re: [DISCUSS] New Website

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I pushed some changes.

Re: [DISCUSS] New Website

Re: [DISCUSS] New Website

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Feb 1, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Chris Hostetter
> <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
>>
>> : So, I'd suggest everyone give it a pass through, fix items as they see
>> : them and/or otherwise pitch in and help, because I'm tired of our
>> : current site and how poor it makes us look.
>>
>> Grant: my one concern is how the Solr tutorial currently looks,
>> particularly related to inline code and bulk code blocks...
>>
>> http://lucene.staging.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html
>
> The solr tutorial represents 20% of page hits across the entire
> lucene.apache.org domain.... more than 2000 views per day.
> However it should be fixed, lets fix it!

Working on it.  Note, Markdown allows for the regular use of HTML: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#html

-Grant

Re: [DISCUSS] New Website

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : So, I'd suggest everyone give it a pass through, fix items as they see
> : them and/or otherwise pitch in and help, because I'm tired of our
> : current site and how poor it makes us look.
>
> Grant: my one concern is how the Solr tutorial currently looks,
> particularly related to inline code and bulk code blocks...
>
> http://lucene.staging.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

The solr tutorial represents 20% of page hits across the entire
lucene.apache.org domain.... more than 2000 views per day.
However it should be fixed, lets fix it!

-Yonik
lucidimagination.com

Re: [DISCUSS] New Website

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: inline code quoting.  we should probably change most of the "code" css to
: use the "pre > code" since that's what the markdown docs i'm looking at
: say markdown generates for code blocks.
: ...that looks like a content problem.  we seem to be using "<source>" as
: the markup for our code blocks, but the markdown docs i'm finding say thta
: "4 whitespcae characters of indentation" should be used for code blocks.

Huh...

* markdown docs say 4 space indenting will create a <pre><code> block
* preview in the WMD editor shows 4 space intenting creating a <pre><code>
block
* after saving those changes, the staging site shows much more complex
html using <div class="codehilite"><pre> containing little span tags for
each indivdual word.  if you then view this html in the CMS "browse" page
(ie: where the bookmarklet taks you so you can click the edit button) then
those individual spans get individual color coding from
https://cms.apache.org/css/code.css

...not sure if we want any of that, or if we should just decide to use
<pre><code> tags explicitly ourself (downside: then we have to do our own
HTML escaping; upside: then we can use tags like <b> in our code which
markdown's "4 space" markup auto escapes for us to be helpful)

-Hoss

Re: [DISCUSS] New Website

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Reading up a bit on markdown, and poking arround the generated html and
the css we are using i *think* (assuming i understand everything
correctly) we have two problems...

: places where there should be inlined 'code' in a fixed width
: font, ie...

...this looks like CSS problem.  Our CSS is assuming any <code> tags
should be treated as block elements which makes it impossible to have
inline code quoting.  we should probably change most of the "code" css to
use the "pre > code" since that's what the markdown docs i'm looking at
say markdown generates for code blocks.

Which leads me to the second problem...

: Meanwhile, places where there should be indented code blocks with a
: colored background...

...that looks like a content problem.  we seem to be using "<source>" as
the markup for our code blocks, but the markdown docs i'm finding say thta
"4 whitespcae characters of indentation" should be used for code blocks.
(i suspect the <source> tags are left over from the forrest conversion)

...does that sound right to you Grant?

-Hoss