Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Célio Cidral Junior <cc...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/29 01:09:03 UTC

Subversion x Firewall

Hi!

First, I'm sorry because this is not a subject directly related to
Subversion, but because I'm not a networking guru, I don't know where
to go.

I can't do checkouts from any computer at my university because of the
firewall or proxy, I guess. I'm getting that well known error, "REPORT
bad request etc...". I have just installed svn and have not configured
anything in it (no proxy configuration or something like). The
question is, what should I say to the network admin in order to
configure to firewall (or proxy) to make svn work properly?

Celio Cidral Junior
WEG Eletric
http://www.weg.com.br

Re: Subversion x Firewall

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
>> I can't do checkouts from any computer at my university because of the
>>firewall or proxy, I guess. I'm getting that well known error, "REPORT
>>bad request etc...". I have just installed svn and have not configured
>>anything in it (no proxy configuration or something like). The
>>question is, what should I say to the network admin in order to
>>configure to firewall (or proxy) to make svn work properly?

Some HTTP proxies do not allow DAV.  This will need to be allowed to be
able to use Subversion through a HTTP proxy.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: Subversion x Firewall

Posted by Célio Cidral Junior <cc...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Ryan! I will try to find a list of DAV requests in order to
give it to the network admin.

2005/7/29, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>:
> On 29.07.2005, at 03:52, Esteban Pizzini wrote:
>
> > On 7/28/05, Célio Cidral Junior <cc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I can't do checkouts from any computer at my university because of
> >> the
> >> firewall or proxy, I guess. I'm getting that well known error,
> >> "REPORT
> >> bad request etc...". I have just installed svn and have not
> >> configured
> >> anything in it (no proxy configuration or something like). The
> >> question is, what should I say to the network admin in order to
> >> configure to firewall (or proxy) to make svn work properly?
> >
> > Hi, how are you trying to access svn?? by using svn:// or http://?
> > I think that perphaps using http:// (mod_dav_svn) you can bypass
> > the proxy..
> >
> > if not, I have checked in svnbook that svn uses port 3690(udp/tcp). So
> > you need to have enable that ports for connecting to your svn server.
>
> Esteban, the fact that he's talking about REPORT requests means that
> he's already using Apache and not svnserve. He could try svnserve as
> a workaround, if the network allows traffic on 3690. But he may have
> already decided he needs Apache's flexibility.
>
> Célio, the wisdom I've heard on this list before is that some proxy
> servers only allow GET and POST requests but are not configured for
> the other types of requests (like REPORT, among others) used by DAV
> and required for Subversion. You can either get your proxy admins to
> configure their proxy to allow the class of requests used by DAV, or
> switch to using HTTPS, which a proxy cannot interfere with, because
> the communication is encrypted.

Celio Cidral Junior
WEG Eletric
http://www.weg.com.br

Re: Subversion x Firewall

Posted by Nix <ni...@esperi.org.uk>.

<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/trunk> should work.

--
`Tor employs several thousand editors who they keep in dank
 subterranean editing facilities not unlike Moria' -- James Nicoll

Re: Subversion x Firewall

Posted by Romain Prévost <pr...@gmail.com>.
> switch to using HTTPS, which a proxy cannot interfere with, because
> the communication is encrypted.

I'd like to run some simple tests through my company proxy. Can
someone give me some URL to a public HTTPS repository for a few
checkouts ?
(Hoping that a public repos will have https enabled ...)

--
Romain Prévost
Epitech promotion 2007

Re: Subversion x Firewall