Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2002/06/07 22:34:02 UTC

Source files in distribution ?

I noticed some projects distribute separate 'dist' and 'source' packages,
and some include the source in the dist package as well.

In some cases the 'source' included with the dist doesn't include
build.xml and the auxiliary files.

I remember many discussions on 'guideliness' for jakarta distributions,
was this discussed and is there any good document on how a distribution
should look like ?

Also, I remember discussions on a centralised cvs repository with all the
binary jars that are redistributable. Did it get -1 or what is needed
to get such a thing ?

Costin

Re: Source files in distribution ?

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>I noticed some projects distribute separate 'dist' and 'source' packages,
>>and some include the source in the dist package as well.
>>
>>In some cases the 'source' included with the dist doesn't include
>>build.xml and the auxiliary files.
>>
>>I remember many discussions on 'guideliness' for jakarta distributions,
>>was this discussed and is there any good document on how a distribution
>>should look like ?
>>
>>Also, I remember discussions on a centralised cvs repository with all the
>>binary jars that are redistributable. Did it get -1 or what is needed
>>to get such a thing ?
>

> Things like the 'download' target in TC 4 are more elegant IMO (except of
> course there's a problem building commons-dbcp on most platforms).

Which platform? And what is error?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
I think there was a big discussion on tomcat-dev about this a year ago.
Someone suggested to remove the source, since it took extra download
time and wasn't used anyway. The thread was pretty big as far as I
remember..
I guess if the source is still distributes with the binary, it was -1 on
that one ;)

Mvgr,
Martin