Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by chad kellerman <ck...@alabanza.com> on 2002/06/13 21:04:42 UTC

multiple instances

Hi everyone,

     I think this topic has been beet to death.  But I have a few questions
more.

   Just a quick survey.  Does anyone have mulitple instances of tomcat
running-under different users?  (under linux or Solaris)
  If so, how many instances are you running? with 20 users? 50,100?

   My problem...
    My set up has the main tomcat installation in /usr/local/tomcat/.  I have
also another user called gotc.  His tomcat instance in in
/home/gotc/www/tomcat-  which I think I am going to change so it is not in his
directory root.  but anyway.

    My server.xml files are set up so that the main tomcat should list on
8080.  And that gotc-tomcat should listen on 8090.  No other port is the same
in the server.xml file.  Each runs great separately, but when run together,
the one started second dies with the error:

StandardServer.await: create[8005]: java.net.BindException: Address already in
use
java.net.BindException: Address already in use
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:321)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:308)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:266)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:182)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.await(StandardServer.java:277)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:794)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

     what port is it trying to bind to?  And how can I change that port to
another?

Sorry for the long email...  But thanks for any help...

--chad