Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Thomas Scheffler <th...@uni-jena.de> on 2006/03/23 13:35:55 UTC

POJO mapping to JCR nodes?

Hi,

this is my first mail to the dev-list. I was watching the progress of the
development for a while now and was really happy to see jackrabbit became
TLP.
I think after this big milestone for all of you it's a nice starting point for
me to develop something on top. Allready playing with Trails a bit I was
curious if somebody is interested in developing a mapping from plain old java
objects (POJO) to JCR nodes. Maybe such a solution already exists. Here is
what it should go.
You define a class (bean). The bean represents a part of your applications
datamodel. Via reflection (and use of annotations) a nodetype for this class
is generated (and registred). Every instance of this class can than be mapped
to JCR nodes or vice versa.
This will greatly simplify the development process of applications I think.
The whole part of node interaction can be expressed in Java, too. This way you
can abstract you application logic a bit from the JCR layer, even though the
layer itself is an abstraction layer.
I'm very interested in finding out if solutions like this are possible,
practical or maybe already there. What do you think about it?

Closing first mail and opening first thread.

regards

Thomas

Re: POJO mapping to JCR nodes?

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 3/23/06, Thomas Scheffler <th...@uni-jena.de> wrote:

> thing left is a proper presentation layer. Do you have any suggestions on
> that? What are common options that won't require big J2EE setups and are easy
> to understand?

There are several options :
* Use the current Graffito portlets. There are mainly targeted for
Jetspeed but we plan to support other portal applications.  In this
case, you are using the complete Graffito framework. Jetspeed offers
user/group/role management, profiling, and many other portal oriented
services. So, it imply more learning but it is more powerful.
*  or use the Graffito ocm tools without the complete Graffito stack
(portlets, modules, ...) . Than, you are free to choose your favorite
web framework. Personally, I'm very surprising by the wicket project
which offers a nice way to build presentation layer. Of course, other
web framework can use our ocm tools. I would like to see this kind of
demo. If you plan to do it, I can help you.

Christophe

Re: POJO mapping to JCR nodes?

Posted by Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com>.
On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 18:06 +0100, Thomas Scheffler wrote:
> Only thing left is a proper presentation layer.

Cocoon?

--
Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com>

Re: POJO mapping to JCR nodes?

Posted by Thomas Scheffler <th...@uni-jena.de>.
Am Donnerstag, 23. März 2006 13:45 schrieb Christophe Lombart:
> Thomas,
>
> We are building this kind of framework :
> http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/jcr-mapping/index.html.
> This is still under dev. let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your response. I'll have a look on graffito maybe tomorrow and
will play a bit with it. It sound just like the component I was looking for.
Having OCM, JCR (including Access and User control) the lowest levels of a
sample application seems complete. Business logic is built on your own. Only
thing left is a proper presentation layer. Do you have any suggestions on
that? What are common options that won't require big J2EE setups and are easy
to understand?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to test craffito.

regards

Thomas

Re: POJO mapping to JCR nodes?

Posted by Christophe Lombart <ch...@gmail.com>.