Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "zheng.easyfan" <zh...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/01 06:41:31 UTC

回复: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

HI, Zhun Guo:

In general, I agree with your second point in the mail that, we should make  better interoperability of office productions. And my opinion here is that, in the category of interoperability, we even should not trying to separate the office applications as on line or off line ones. For whatever the type of an office application it is, the exactly necessary function it should supplied is to represent a document with specified file format correctly. And to any document from any user of any office application, there should be only one CORRECT representation result anyway.
And I guess, the interoperability topics are the most important ones for each member of this community. For such kind of issues, as the most visible ones, are always directly driven by users :(
So, what is your suggestion or idea for it?

Zhengfan

已从三星手机发送zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com> 写道:Dear  All:
        It is necessary for all cloud office interoperability with each other. Do you think so ?
    What I want to do,is not to design a product for my own company. I just want to , between all cloud office websites, it can send documents quickly. Such as ,Google Docs can send documents to Microsoft Office 365 quickly,  and directly . But now , Google Docs can only send documents using email (SMTP) to Hotmail.    So i think HTTP(SPDY) is better than SMTP  for transfer online office documents  ?  So we  should suggest ,IBM Docs and Office 365 ,Acobat.com  use the same protocol.
   The second thing I want to do ,all online office interoperability .  your know , for native office, an Microsoft Office 2010 document  should be open and reedit by an Openoffice.org user , it means native office interoperability.    Then for the cloud office, it also need interoperability.
   So let us do this thing together!As I know ,you all are great man and warmhearted!  ?Thanks !
  Please see more details in my email attachments! or via a web site:http://online-office-interoperability.blogspot.com/
   Best Regards!

Zhun Guo
Shanghai Biaoma IT Co.
www.mabaoo.com
mike5guo(at)gmail.com

Re: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/5/12 4:47 PM, zhun guo wrote:
> to all ,I suggest AOO to develop its own online office software quickly,
> just as Libre-office-on-line(LOOL) !
> It is the Trend!

feel free to start, I am sure we can create a sub project ;-)

Juergen

Re: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhun Guo <mi...@gmail.com>.
cloud  office productivity documents website: how to make both user
experience  consistent , for users between different  websites, with the
experience  for users within the same site ? interoperability of  cloud
office productivity documents ?  This is my question. Thanks!

RE: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Hi!

It is important to remember that XML was a disruption of SGML, not HTML.

I don't understand your list, below.  RELAX NG compact syntax and N3 are special purpose formats, not markup languages.  CSS is also a special purpose format.  And JSON too.

They have particular values in special domains.  (And some have representations in XML as well, for those who want to use the same markup and transport system.)

If you are interested in simplifications of XML, you might take a look at the microXML initiative.  It is also struggling with being more accommodating of HTML (which was inspired by SGML too, not XML).

<http://www.w3.org/community/microxml/>

I still have questions about the problem your solutions are intended to solve [;<)

 - Dennis

Posted by BIG JAM <in...@bigjam.191.it>.

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BIG JAM <in...@bigjam.191.it>.
thanks if you can help me ..
give me your mail?

Dario

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 11 October 2012 15:04, BIG JAM <in...@bigjam.191.it> wrote:

> I'm looking for a programmer to help me (surcharge)
> to make an extension for open office
>
> Why did you send me this?

You are in a public discussion forum in a discussion thread about cloud
office interoperability. You will get replies to this thread from any of
the participants. If you are interested in a programming project, start a
new thread by putting something like "Programmer needed" in the subject
title of a post to the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org address. Then replies
to that post will be relevant to the subject title.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by BIG JAM <in...@bigjam.191.it>.

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
A more recent blog post written by Ed Dumbil also explain the raise
and fall of XML as a whole. In the past few years, XML has been
replaced with less verbosed formats such as JSON which is dominant in
the use of data exchange over simple protocols like REST over thicker
ones like SOAP.

Here is a good related article about it
http://eric.van-der-vlist.com/blog/2012/02/14/xml-the-ex-markup-language/

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice

Re: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.
Dear all , Who know some person,which work in Google Docs, IBM Docs,Cisco
WebEX,Zoho,ThinkFree, these people maybe are more helpful for the topic,
native and cloud office documents interoperability!  We can invite them.

Zhun Guo

Re: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 5 October 2012 17:37, Dennis E. Hamilton <or...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> a universal format, ODF can certainly carry anything that Microsoft Office
> then carried in its binary formats.  This was also a factor in the argument
> that OOXML was not needed at the ISO level since ODF was there already.
>
> As far as I can tell, that was some sort of magical thinking.  It
> completely ignored the reality of document models and what they do and do
> not afford as an expression of the documents of users.  It completely
> ignored the prospect that document models can be so disparate that their
> perfect bidirectional mapping is not only impractical but unknown.
>
> There is no indication that ODF of any version is a universal format in
> the sense that it is practical for all products to target it as a common
> interchange format.
>
> More to the point, there is no evidence that there is a practical
> universal format.
>
> Something else to consider: ODF is not the same as OpenOffice.  There are
> divergent implementations of ODF (even ignoring however close Microsoft
> comes, but however close Microsoft comes is practically of great
> importance).  There is no known *complete* implementation of ODF anywhere,
> ignoring the features that ODF does not even address or that leaves
> completely open to implementation-dependent variation.
>
> I favor ODF being perfected.  That is not a simple matter.  The OASIS ODF
> TC is, in my opinion, currently denting its spears on providing an
> understandable change-tracking mechanism that hurdles the bar set by
> current practice and user expectations.  The current direction is to
> abandon the change-tracking as it is currently, though imperfectly,
> specified.
>
> Meanwhile there is *no* scripting language or macro provision in ODF.
>  There is no provision for extensions in ODF (and having a
> platform-independent one of those would be quite remarkable).  These are
> all very practical problems that are very difficult to reconcile at a
> document-format standardization level.
>
> Work at the ODF TC is not that much different than working on an
> open-source project.  There have to be individuals who come to OASIS that
> can tolerant working on standards and that can make useful contributions.
>  Saying what could or should happen without there being appropriate
> capability brought to the ODF TC is not going to accomplish anything.
>
> I favor ODF as a document format.  It is necessary to be realistic about
> what can happen in its improvement and stabilization as a practical matter.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: I agree with the remark of Yong Lin Ma.  The way to understand the
> difficulties in reconciling formats is to deal with the details involved in
> order to improve AOO's interoperability with OOXML.  It is tedious work in
> the trenches that will calibrate the areas of feature harmony and the
> places where bridging model incompatibility is intractable.

Dennis,

I think we are saying the same thing. odf needs to be refined and improved
but in that process there have to be very good translations to and from it
from other dominant formats. Eventually we might get to a single format
that is universal. AOO and LibO are the best hope of implementing odf and
getting sufficient take up to drive it as the preferred standard.

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@apache.org>.
That is an nice expectation.

--
Regards

Yong Lin Ma

Re: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@apache.org>.
Zhun,
Could you recap your proposal for AOO again?

It is a battle between ODF and OOXML. It is not negotiable.
Introducing a new format would not help. (html can help under certain
circumstance) .
For AOO, improving its interoperability with ooxml is important and we
get contributors working on it. MS also claims its support to ODF, but
it is not countable for solving the interoperability issues between
ODF and OOXML.

--
Regards

Yong Lin Ma

RE: Ask for advice:cloud office interoperability

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
I don't understand what problem it is expected that use of HTML will solve.

Are you suggesting that HTML[5] can become a common/universal interchange format.
Do you consider ePub a candidate?

Note that even using Webkit as a common support for presentation of documents to users does not assure anything about interchange of the document files.

I am puzzled.

How is HTML related to the problems of interchange among desktop office document formats?

 - Dennis

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
I don't understand.

Microsoft began supporting ODF 1.0 in Office 2007 (SP2 I think).

They also support ODF 1.0 in Office 2010.

In Office 2013/365 there is support for ODF 1.2, including with support of OpenFormula in Excel.

There are now three ways to consider interoperability among Office and OpenOffice users - via Office Binary Formats, via OOXML, and via ODF 1.2.

Also, the support for ODF documents is now extending to the Web version of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in the SkyDrive cloud service.  That provides a more-limited but useful potential for interchange, at least for the browsers that SkyDrive supports with Office Web access.

I assume that there is not full agreement of functionality.

I think now is time to see how successful interchange can be.  Then learn where are the best areas for improvement.

I agree that this interoperability is very important.  It is not easy.  Not even if everyone is eager and willing.

 - Dennis

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by zhun guo <mi...@gmail.com>.

[...]