Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com> on 2020/05/08 10:23:50 UTC

Building on Java 11

Hello,

When i need to work on Apache ActiveMQ Artemis I need to switch my local environement to use OpenJDK 8 instead of the default OpenJDK 11
which I use to develop.

I have started a branch https://github.com/ehsavoie/activemq-artemis/tree/java_11 which builds on OpenJDK 8 and 11 with the fast-tests profile.

mvn clean install -Pfast-tests is passing for me locally :)

I don't think that the CI or the release should use Java 11 but I hope this will smoothen the time when the migration occurs.

Also I couldn't use the --release 8 flag for OpenJDK 11 because of the use of Unsafe, if someone has a better alternative I'm all hears.

Do you want me to sumbit a PR for this ? Does this make sense to the community ?

Emmanuel

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
what's nice about this, is that even compatibility tests are
running... (think about that the compatibility tests is mixing a mesh
that includes even old hornetq clients against artemis master, and
these were built with older JDK).

I was afraid old versions of netty woudln't be compatible on the
newest JDK breaking compatibility tests on these old versions. and
that did not happen when I just tested.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Emmanuel suggested this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53055564/unable-to-compile-in-intellij-errorjava-exporting-a-package-from-system-modu?noredirect=1&lq=1

Which would seem to line up with your error below. Per the PR [1] the
maven build specifically isn't using the --release flag as although it
would be nice to do so, it wont work because it only permits using the
core public APIs from the target release and not things like Unsafe
etc.

[1] https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/3179

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.
Thanks

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Can I ask again about the seemingly broken errorprone-javac config on
the branch, which looks to be using a non-existent javac.version
property config:
"<arg>-J-Xbootclasspath/p:${settings.localRepository}/com/google/errorprone/javac/${javac.version}/javac-${javac.version}.jar

Looking at https://errorprone.info/docs/installation suggests you do
need to set the property so the jar can be found, matching whatever
dependency the errorprone-core being used is using (which is
presumably what will make the javac jar actually get pulled into the
local repo at all).

It also indicates only doing this config approach on Java 8 because it
doesnt work on 9+, so they have an 8-specific profile for it whilst on
the branch seems to be happening for all versions. Should it be
profiled?

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by "michael.andre.pearce" <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.
As long as it still builds and releases on 8 sounds good.8 has almost the same lifespan as 11 and anything else is not lts. Most users will want to be running on supported lts versions with many still being 8.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> Date: 02/06/2020  18:23  (GMT+00:00) To: Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com> Cc: dev@activemq.apache.org Subject: Re: Building on Java 11 that's cool....we should move forward then!On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 1:19 PM Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com> wrote:>> error-prone 2.4.0 has been released with JDK 14 and 15 support.>> This might answer your question :)>> Emmanuel>> Le 02/06/2020 à 18:31, Clebert Suconic a écrit :> > But I think it should be on anything 11+> >> > I would rather avoid having to re-address this again in the future,> > and be generic enough.> >> >> > What's holding the build on JDK 13? is it error prone for sure or> > something else?> >> > On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 5:56 AM Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com> wrote:> >> Hello,> >>> >> I' ve updated my branch and rebased on current master from clebert's branch.> >>> >> It passes a simple build on java 11.0.6> >>> >> Cheers,> >>> >> Emmanuel> >>> >> Le 08/05/2020 à 19:47, Clebert Suconic a écrit :> >>> Oh wow.. that's awesome.> >>>> >>>> >>> Can we do the migration after the 2.13.0 release? I have pretty much> >>> everything ready to go (besides a few changes we have to make next> >>> week). doing this migration now would probably delay the release.> >>>> >>>> >>> Or you have some requirement for Wildfly that you must do this now? if> >>> you do we can eventually delay it.. but I would prefer doing it for> >>> later.> >>>> >>> On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 6:24 AM Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com> wrote:> >>>> Hello,> >>>>> >>>> When i need to work on Apache ActiveMQ Artemis I need to switch my local environement to use OpenJDK 8 instead of the default OpenJDK 11> >>>> which I use to develop.> >>>>> >>>> I have started a branch https://github.com/ehsavoie/activemq-artemis/tree/java_11 which builds on OpenJDK 8 and 11 with the fast-tests profile.> >>>>> >>>> mvn clean install -Pfast-tests is passing for me locally :)> >>>>> >>>> I don't think that the CI or the release should use Java 11 but I hope this will smoothen the time when the migration occurs.> >>>>> >>>> Also I couldn't use the --release 8 flag for OpenJDK 11 because of the use of Unsafe, if someone has a better alternative I'm all hears.> >>>>> >>>> Do you want me to sumbit a PR for this ? Does this make sense to the community ?> >>>>> >>>> Emmanuel> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>-- Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
that's cool....

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.
Hello,

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.
https://github.com/google/error-prone/issues/1106

      *cushon <https://github.com/cushon> * commented 2 days ago <https://github.com/google/error-prone/issues/1106#issuecomment-634894077>

As of 746c15f <https://github.com/google/error-prone/commit/746c15f1db94b27ca6b93942dc878389420b5a0e>, CI is passing with JDK 14 and 15.

I filed #1639 <https://github.com/google/error-prone/issues/1639> to track a 2.4.0 release that will include all of those changes.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.
I used OpenJDK 11.0.6, didn't try OpenJDK 14. Maybe we should remove error prone for JDK > 11.

Emmanuel

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
No worries... I am just making the ball rolling, perhaps someone else
will also be interested on helping out here.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Ok, shame. I'd probably ditch it for now given that and the other
issues with newer JDKs. Or maybe it could be profile'd so it only
worked on JDK 8 with the older minimal config, and just ensure it runs
in CI? Save covering every module with dep bits for it.

Regardless, point still stands about the seemingly broken config
though,  - unless something sets that javac.version property magically
that is, though other examples I saw using it suggested not?

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
But I wouldn’t hold  jdk upgrade over it.

Just setting out priorities.

Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.
Hello,

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Emmanuel Hugonnet <eh...@redhat.com>.

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Oh wow.. that's awesome.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Building on Java 11

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Excellent to see some work on this!

Whilst I obviously have Java 8 around since most components target it
currently and so its my main build env, I do also have envs that
default to 11 and as you later said its really annoying having to
tweak the env back to 8 just to build a given component there for e.g
trying something out.

I would however say there should be CI that uses JDK11 (+newer, 15EA
is out) once building with it works, to ensure that it is kept working
too where desired. Obviously this would be in addition to 8 given its
what the releases target. Given the variety of CI envs available
(Travis, Appveyor, GitHub Actions, the ASFs Jenkins env, etc) its
fairly easy to hit a variety of JDK versions.

Robbie