Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com> on 2009/06/11 17:11:45 UTC

Gerrit@Apache call for interested comitters

Hello,

On 29th of June I'll start working on Gerrit[1] project for next three months. I think this would be a perfect
opportunity to introduce Gerrit as part of the experimental Git infrastructure.

In order to make this effort practical I seek for a bunch of interested committers willing to experiment with Gerrit as
a patch review tool. This implies that community of given project must be enthusiastic on Git as whole as such
experiment will change project practices slightly and introduce Git into development cycle as a tool for collaboration
between comitters and contributors.

If you know any project fulfilling these requirements and willing to play with Git a little bit more let me know here so
we can discuss some more details.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Gerrit@Apache call for interested comitters

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
I am interested in it for a number of reasons...specifically to see if
it would be a better mechanism for trying to keep up on what is going
on within aspects of maven development and then also as potential
tooling for helping manage contributions to jetty given the IP
requirements of the eclipse foundation...

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
+1, keeping up with patches is a chore currently. If Gerrit can make that
more efficient, it can only help to improve community contribution.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
hi Grzegorz --

http://spyced.blogspot.com/2009/06/patch-oriented-development-made-sane.html
is a discussion of using git-svn, patches and JIRA; it sounds like the
Cassandra guys could really do with knowing about this.  Might be
worth dropping a comment to see if you can pick up any interested
committers to help out ;)

--j.

Posted by Tim Moore <tm...@atlassian.com>.
That's great to know! Thanks for the pointer.

It would be nice to note it on the website too.

Posted by Tim Moore <tm...@atlassian.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Ian Boston pisze:
> I have been using git for work on Shindig, Sling (not a committer),
> Sakai-Kernel and others for the past 12 months and it has saved me
> masses of time. (sadly not quite enough to be able to commit more time
> to Shindig).
>
> The integration via upload.py is excellent with codereview.appspot,
> kudos to the authors of that script, as it enables push and update of
> patches between any to sha1's in anywhere in my local git repo.

Could you provide a link to that upload.py script so I could have a look at it?

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
I have been using git for work on Shindig, Sling (not a committer),
Sakai-Kernel and others for the past 12 months and it has saved me
masses of time. (sadly not quite enough to be able to commit more time
to Shindig).

The integration via upload.py is excellent with codereview.appspot,
kudos to the authors of that script, as it enables push and update of
patches between any to sha1's in anywhere in my local git repo.

Anyone wanting to try it I would recommend cloning the git.apache.org
mirror rather than cloning svn directly.

Ian

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Posted by Tim Moore <tm...@atlassian.com>.

Posted by Tim Moore <tm...@atlassian.com>.

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Santiago Gala pisze:
> (incubator-)Shindig can be a reasonable candidate, out of several
> reasons:
> - there is extensive use of code review for patches already, so it would
> be mostly a matter of switching URLs

What are you using at the moment for code review?

> - I'm not so sure about effective git usage. Some people seems to be
> using it, but this would need to be checked.
>
> I'm CCing shindig-dev, to see how people reacts to it.

Thanks! Looking forward for feedback.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Tony Stevenson pisze:

> You will need to give both Gavin McDonald (gmcdonald) and myself
> (pctony) access so we can deploy the backup solution.
> As you will not have the requisite access on the backup server to do the
> deployment yourself.

I'm happy to left this to people that know how to handle it.

I'll let you know more once I have everything in place.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
On 17 Jun 2009, at 18:53, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> Paul Querna pisze:
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
>> <gk...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>> At the beginning I'd need a new account with called 'gerrit' with
>>> access to JVM.
>>>
>>> Once I start experimenting we'll see if anything else is needed.
>>>

>> It sounds like this will have user data in it like Jira / Bugzilla
>> etc, so can you please make sure it gets backed up, so we can recover
>> it should anything bad ever happen?
>>
>> Currently all the git mirrors don't have any user data, they are just
>> generated from svn, so I don't believe they are included in the
>> backup
>> system.
>
> Paul,
>
> Thank you for reminding me about this. Do we have any documentation
> on how to setup backup process using existing
> infrastructure?

You will need to give both Gavin McDonald (gmcdonald) and myself
(pctony) access so we can deploy the backup solution.
As you will not have the requisite access on the backup server to do
the deployment yourself.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony Stevenson

tony@pc-tony.com - pctony@apache.org
pctony@freenode.net - tony@caret.cam.ac.uk

http://blog.pc-tony.com

1024D/51047D66 ECAF DC55 C608 5E82 0B5E
3359 C9C7 924E 5104 7D66

Re: Gerrit@Apache call for interested comitters

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
On 17 Jun 2009, at 18:35, Paul Querna wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Grzegorz Kossakowski
> <gk...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Jukka Zitting pisze:
>>>
>>> Sounds good to me. Let me know if you need any assistance in
>>> setting this up.
>>>

>> At the beginning I'd need a new account with called 'gerrit' with
>> access to JVM.
>>
>> Once I start experimenting we'll see if anything else is needed.
>>

> It sounds like this will have user data in it like Jira / Bugzilla
> etc, so can you please make sure it gets backed up, so we can recover
> it should anything bad ever happen?
>
> Currently all the git mirrors don't have any user data, they are just
> generated from svn, so I don't believe they are included in the backup
> system.

That's correct.  They are not included.

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
<gk...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jukka Zitting pisze:
> >
> > Sounds good to me. Let me know if you need any assistance in setting this up.
> >

> At the beginning I'd need a new account with called 'gerrit' with access to JVM.
>
> Once I start experimenting we'll see if anything else is needed.

It sounds like this will have user data in it like Jira / Bugzilla
etc, so can you please make sure it gets backed up, so we can recover
it should anything bad ever happen?

Currently all the git mirrors don't have any user data, they are just
generated from svn, so I don't believe they are included in the backup
system.

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Gerrit@Apache call for interested comitters

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
On 16 Jun 2009, at 10:45, Jukka Zitting wrote:

[SNIP ...]

> Infra is currently migrating Apache accounts to LDAP, and it would be
> cool if we could get Gerrit to use the LDAP directory for
> authentication and access control. Though I'm not sure how ready the
> LDAP installation is yet for use by such external/experimental
> systems.

It's not.  :-)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2009/6/16 Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>:
> Ok. I think we've got enough initial feedback to make us sure that there
> are interested people and projects in this initiative.

Agreed, let's see where this leads us!

> I also propose that deployment will be made to zone that is hosting
> git.apache.org right now. I don't expect that much of load generated by
> Gerrit at least at the beginning.
> @Jukka: WDYT about this proposal? Are you fine with setting up Gerrit there?

Sounds good to me. Let me know if you need any assistance in setting this up.

> When it comes to user accounts and their management I think the easiest
> option would be to go with separate accounts with rights managed by
> project committers.

Infra is currently migrating Apache accounts to LDAP, and it would be
cool if we could get Gerrit to use the LDAP directory for
authentication and access control. Though I'm not sure how ready the
LDAP installation is yet for use by such external/experimental
systems.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Gerrit@Apache call for interested comitters

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:

> Ok. I think we've got enough initial feedback to make us sure that there are interested people and projects in this
> initiative.
>
> At the beginning I propose that we'll start with Shinding and Maven projects as two supported by our installation of Gerrit.
>
> I also propose that deployment will be made to zone that is hosting git.apache.org right now. I don't expect that much
> of load generated by Gerrit at least at the beginning.
> @Jukka: WDYT about this proposal? Are you fine with setting up Gerrit there?
>
> When it comes to user accounts and their management I think the easiest option would be to go with separate accounts
> with rights managed by project committers.
>
> The biggest issue I can see right now is how we'll be pushing changes from Gerrit to SVN thus I'm looking forward to
> reply from Ian Boston.
>
> I think I'll be able to deploy Gerrit upcoming weekend as for next few days I'll be very busy with my university affairs.
>
> If there is anything I have missed please let me know.

It turned out that preparations to my journey (I'll be travelling 1/3 of the globe) took more time than I expected.

Thus I'll focus on this stuff as soon as I'm San Francisco and basic affairs are sorted out.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:
> Hello,
>
> On 29th of June I'll start working on Gerrit[1] project for next three months. I think this would be a perfect
> opportunity to introduce Gerrit as part of the experimental Git infrastructure.
>
> In order to make this effort practical I seek for a bunch of interested committers willing to experiment with Gerrit as
> a patch review tool. This implies that community of given project must be enthusiastic on Git as whole as such
> experiment will change project practices slightly and introduce Git into development cycle as a tool for collaboration
> between comitters and contributors.
>
> If you know any project fulfilling these requirements and willing to play with Git a little bit more let me know here so
> we can discuss some more details.
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/

Ok. I think we've got enough initial feedback to make us sure that there are interested people and projects in this
initiative.

At the beginning I propose that we'll start with Shinding and Maven projects as two supported by our installation of Gerrit.

I also propose that deployment will be made to zone that is hosting git.apache.org right now. I don't expect that much
of load generated by Gerrit at least at the beginning.
@Jukka: WDYT about this proposal? Are you fine with setting up Gerrit there?

When it comes to user accounts and their management I think the easiest option would be to go with separate accounts
with rights managed by project committers.

The biggest issue I can see right now is how we'll be pushing changes from Gerrit to SVN thus I'm looking forward to
reply from Ian Boston.

I think I'll be able to deploy Gerrit upcoming weekend as for next few days I'll be very busy with my university affairs.

If there is anything I have missed please let me know.

Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.