Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Charles Brewster <ch...@shaw.ca> on 2002/11/07 08:38:17 UTC

Re; Soap 2.3.1 on Tomcat 4.1.12 on RedHat 8.0 - a question revisited

I followed with interest the exchange between Scott and Alex to-day as I
encountered similar problems. From Scott's directions and lots of
reading on the classloader process I am confident I understand the do &
don'ts and have permuted them all.

I had no problem installing on NT and the two  run fine. My Linux Tomcat
runs all the apps I have written and borrowed in the past (Jive for
example). In the case of SOAP It definitely seems to relate to classes
which are used both by the 'container' and the app. Tomcat allows jar
files in the common/endorsed to be shared etc., (Read the docs etc)

The question, If someone on the list has this combo going would they
please share the details (common/endorsed, ../lib, WEB-INF/*, and other
config data. Off-line if you like.

Snippet: on calling the rpcrouter URL

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:246)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:54)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:186)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:265)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(Unknown So

Re: Re; Soap 2.3.1 on Tomcat 4.1.12 on RedHat 8.0 - a question revisited

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
I'm glad to hear that Axis is working for you.

On RedHat 7.3, I just did the following

1. Untarballed jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12.tar.gz to /usr/local (i.e. creating
directory /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12).
2. Copied soap.war (from a recent nightly build) to
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/webapps.
3. Ran /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/bin/startup.sh.
4. Deployed, ran, undeployed samples (configure, gzip, addressbook) from
a Win2k client with no problems.

My environment on the RedHat box:

1. No CLASSPATH
2. JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-131
3. No java in PATH

I conclude that Apache SOAP *can* install as advertised on Tomcat
4.1.12, but there are factors that cause it to fail which have not yet
isolated.

Scott Nichol

Posted by Charles Brewster <ch...@shaw.ca>.

Posted by Charles Brewster <ch...@shaw.ca>.