Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2010/07/18 00:23:09 UTC

[VOTE] Move Lucy to the Incubator

I would like to call a vote for accepting "Apache Lucy" for incubation in
the Apache Incubator. The full proposal is available below.  We ask the
Incubator PMC to sponsor it, with myself (hossman) as Champion, and
mattmann, upayavira, mikemccand, and hossman volunteering to be Mentors.

Please cast your vote:

[ ] +1, bring Lucy into Incubator
[ ] +0, I don't care either way,
[ ] -1, do not bring Lucy into Incubator, because...

This vote will be open for 72 hours and only votes from the Incubator PMC
are binding.

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/LucyProposal
------------------------------------
PREFACE
     Lucy is a sub-project which is being spun off from the Lucene TLP but is
     not yet ready for graduation.  We propose to address certain needs of the
     project by transitioning to an Incubator Podling, and assimilating the
     KinoSearch codebase.

ABSTRACT
     Lucy will be a loose port of the Lucene search engine library, written in
     C and targeted at dynamic language users.

PROPOSAL
     Lucy has two aims.  First, it will be a high-performance C search engine
     library.  Second, it will maximize its usability and power when accessed
     via dynamic language bindings.  To that end, it will present highly
     idiomatic, carefully tailored APIs for each of its "host" binding
     languages, including support for subclasses written entirely in the
     "host" language.

BACKGROUND
     Lucy, a "loose C" port of Java Lucene, began as an ambitious,
     from-scratch Lucene sub-project, with David Balmain (author of Ferret, a
     Ruby/C port of Lucene), Doug Cutting, and Marvin Humphrey (founder of
     KinoSearch, a Perl/C port) as committers.  During an initial burst of
     activity, the overall architecture for Lucy was sketched out by Dave and
     Marvin.  Unfortunately, Dave became unavailable soon after, and without a
     working codebase to release or any users, it proved difficult to replace
     him.  Still, Marvin carried on their work throughout a period of
     seemingly low activity.

     In the last year, that work has come to fruition: major technical
     milestones have been achieved and Lucy's underpinnings have been
     completed.  Additionally, other developers from the KinoSearch community
     have taken an interest in Lucy and have begun to ramp up their
     contributions.  The next steps for Lucy were articulated by the Lucene
     PMC in a recent review: make releases, acquire users, grow community.

     To implement the Lucene PMC's recommendations and get to a release as
     quickly as possible, the Lucy community proposes to assimilate the
     KinoSearch codebase, which has been retrofitted to use Lucy's core.  Lucy
     still lacks a number of important indexing and search classes; we wish to
     flesh these out via IP clearance work rather than software development.

     Because Lucene is working to move away from being an "umbrella project",
     a long term goal of the Lucy project is to graduate to an ASF TLP.  With
     that in mind, it seems more appropriate for the KinoSearch software grant
     to take place within the context of the Incubator, and that a Lucy
     podling and PPMC be established which will ultimately take responsibility
     for the codebase.

RATIONALE
     There is great hunger for a search engine library in the mode of Lucene
     which is accessible from various dynamic languages, and for one
     accessible from pure C.  Individuals naturally wish to code in their
     language of choice.  Organizations which do not have significant Java
     expertise may not want to support Java strictly for the sake of running a
     Lucene installation.  Developers may want to take advantage of C's
     interoperability and fine-grained control.  Lucy will meet all these
     demands.

     Apache is a natural home for our project given the way it has always
     operated: user-driven innovation, security as a requirement, lively and
     amiable mailing list discussions, strength through diversity, and so on.
     We feel comfortable here, and we believe that we will become exemplary
     Apache citizens.

INITIAL GOALS
     * Make a 1.0 stable release as quickly as possible.
     * Concentrate on community expansion.
     * Expose a public C API.

CURRENT STATUS
   Meritocracy
     Our initial committer list includes two individuals (Peter Karman and
     Nathan Kurz) who started off as KinoSearch users, demonstrated merit
     through constructive forum participation, adept negotiation, consensus
     building, and submission of high-quality contributions, and were invited
     to become committers.  Peter now rolls most releases.

     We look forward to continuing to operate as a meritocracy under the
     established traditions and rules of the ASF.

   Community
     Lucy's most active participants of late have been drawn from the
     KinoSearch and Lucene communities.  Having been focused on features and
     technical goals for a long time, we are considerably overdue for a stable
     release, and anticipate rapid growth in its wake.

   Core Developers
     * Marvin Humphrey is the project founder of KinoSearch, and co-founded
       the existing Lucy sub-project.  He is presently employed by Eventful,
       Inc.
     * Peter Karman has contributed to several open source projects since
       2001, including being a committer at http://swish-e.org/ (a search
       engine), http://code.google.com/p/rose/ (an ORM) and
       http://catalyst.perl.org/ (web framework).  He is employed by American
       Public Media.
     * Nathan Kurz is excited by the intersection of search and
       recommendations, and has been a KinoSearch committer since 2007.  As
       the owner of Scream Sorbet (http://screamsorbet.com), he divides his
       time between code and fruit.

   Alignment
     One Apache value which is particularly cherished by the Lucy community is
     codebase transparency.  We have developed institutions which enable us to
     measure and maximize usability (see
     http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/BrainLog), and we feel strongly that the
     bindings for Lucy must present APIs and documentation which are idiomatic
     to the host language culture so that end users can consume our work as
     easily as possible.

     The controlled competition of meritocratic community development is also
     very important to us.  There has been substantial cross-pollination of
     ideas between Lucene and Lucy, yielding considerable benefits for both
     projects.  The Lucy developers envision that our host-language
     sub-communities will approach using and extending the library in distinct
     ways; we hope to harness the creative tension between them to drive
     innovation, building productive relationships akin to the one that Lucene
     and Lucy have today.

     A third priority of ours is to be bound by existing Apache institutions,
     for the protection of all our stakeholders.

KNOWN RISKS
   Orphaned products
     All core developers have been associated with the project for several
     years across multiple jobs.  However, at this time, the project would
     probably not survive the departure of Marvin Humphrey, so there is a risk
     of being orphaned.  Marvin has no plans to leave, but we have been
     actively working to disperse his knowledge of the code base and
     administrative responsibilities in order to make him dispensable.  Having
     staggered badly after Dave Balmain's departure, we are keenly aware of
     this vulnerability and highly motivated to eliminate it.

   Inexperience with Open Source
     The core developers all have significant experience with open source
     development, and include one present Apache committer.  We recognize that
     we lack PMC experience and seek to address that deficiency by using the
     Incubator environment to educate ourselves and prepare for responsible
     self-governance.

   Homogenous Developers
     Our community is geographically dispersed, with members in San Diego,
     Oakland, and Minneapolis.  We all work for different organizations.

   Reliance on Salaried Developers
     Marvin Humphrey has a great job at Eventful working primarily on this
     project and supporting applications that use it.  Nevertheless, he is
     extremely dedicated to Lucy and is determined to see it through to the
     point where it becomes self-sustaining, regardless of work circumstances.

   Relationships with Other Apache Products
     Lucy's relationship with Lucene of cordial "coopetition" has produced
     benefits for Lucene users in terms of indexing speed, near-real-time
     search support, and more.  We expect this dynamic to continue delivering
     improvements for all parties involved.

   An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
     Our desire to maintain Lucy's affiliation with Apache has less to do with
     the brand and more to do with our conviction that developing the project
     The Apache Way under Apache institutions is in Lucy's best interests.
     However, we have to acknowledge that during its time as a Lucene
     subproject, Lucy has not always fulfilled certain key requirements for an
     Apache project.  In particular, it has failed to "release early, release
     often", and it has made minimal progress in expanding its community.

     We attribute some of our difficulties to the what may have been excess
     ambition in the original Lucy plan, given the scope of the project and
     the size of the initial committer list:

         http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#incubator

         The basic requirements for incubation are:

           * a working codebase -- over the years and after several failures,
             the foundation came to understand that without an initial working
             codebase, it is generally hard to bootstrap a community.

     By rebooting the project with a working codebase, we expect to avoid the
     trap that ensnared Lucy's first incarnation: we will release early,
     release often, accumulate users, nurture contributors, and grow our
     community.

DOCUMENTATION

     * Current Lucy website: http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/
     * Current Lucy Subversion repository:
       http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/lucy/
     * Current Lucy mailing lists:
       http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/mailing_lists.html
     * KinoSearch Subversion repository:
       http://www.rectangular.com/svn/kinosearch/
     * KinoSearch Perl API documentation:
       http://www.rectangular.com/kinosearch/docs/devel/
     * KinoSearch Discussion list:

INITIAL SOURCE
     The initial source will be a snapshot from the KinoSearch subversion
     repository.

SOURCE AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY SUBMISSION PLAN
     KinoSearch is currently under a GPL/Artistic license.  There are five
     individuals who have made multiple significant contributions to the
     codebase and whose participation is either essential or would be very
     helpful: Marvin Humphrey, Peter Karman, Nathan Kurz, Chris Nandor, and
     Father Chrysostomos.  All have been contacted and are amenable to
     re-licensing their work and contributing it to Apache.  We will contact
     as many other contributors as possible; if there are any that we cannot
     obtain permission from, we will refactor to expunge their work.

EXTERNAL DEPENDENCIES
     The Perl bindings for KinoSearch currently depend on a few CPAN modules
     which do not have Apache-compatible licenses.  It will be possible to
     eliminate all such dependencies if necessary.

REQUIRED RESOURCES
   Mailing lists
     * lucy-dev
     * lucy-private (with moderated subscriptions)
     * lucy-commits
     * lucy-users

     Lucy already has lucy-dev, lucy-users, and lucy-commits mailing lists
     under lucene.apache.org.  Perhaps these could be deactivated and the
     memberships migrated to the appropriate lists under incubator.apache.org,
     leaving the lucene.apache.org archives as read-only.

   Subversion Directory
     Lucy already has a Subversion directory at
     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/lucy. In keeping with naming
     conventions, it could be moved to
     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucy.

   Issue Tracking
     Lucy already has a JIRA tracker: Lucy (LUCY)

   Other Resources
     Lucy already has a MoinMoin wiki at wiki.apache.org/lucy.  It would be
     convenient to keep it, especially since its current location is also
     where it would end up upon TLP graduation, but we will defer to the
     wishes of the Incubator PMC if standard Incubator wiki placement is
     recommended.

INITIAL COMMITTERS
     NAME             EMAIL                     AFFILIATION             CLA
     Marvin Humphrey  marvin AT apache DOT org  Eventful                yes
     Peter Karman     peter AT peknet DOT com   American Public Media   yes
     Nathan Kurz      nate AT verse DOT com     Scream Sorbet           yes
     Simon Willnauer  simonw AT apache DOT org                          yes

SPONSORS
   Champion
     * Chris Hostetter (hossman AT apache DOT org)

   Nominated Mentors
     * Chris Mattmann (mattmann AT apache DOT org)
     * Upayavira (upayavira AT apache DOT org)
     * Mike McCandless (mikemccand AT apache DOT org) (pending IPMC membership)
     * Chris Hostetter (hossman AT apache DOT org) (pending IPMC membership)

   Sponsoring Entity
     Lucy is currently sponsored by Lucene as a sub-project. This proposal
     advocates changing Lucy's relationship with Apache from developing all
     new code as a Lucene sub-project, to instead assimilating existing code
     (KinoSearch) under the sponsorship of the Incubator.

Re: [VOTE] Move Lucy to the Incubator

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
+1 binding

Upayavira

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1

(almost binding... once I graduate from mike to Mike)

Mike

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[x] +1, bring Lucy into Incubator

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Move Lucy to the Incubator

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1

Doug

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Re: [RESULTS] -- was: Re: [VOTE] Move Lucy to the Incubator

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > [2] greddin indicated in his email that his vote was binding, but he isn't
: >    listed in committee-info.txt
:
: Hmm, I assume that's just an oversight? I have karma to update that
: file, but I expected Noel would do it.

Right, since:
 a) you're a member,
 b) members (evidently) can be on the IPMC "at will" to have binding votes
 c) you stated your vote was binding
...I was assuming that there is just an oversight somewhere.

-Hoss

Re: [RESULTS] -- was: Re: [VOTE] Move Lucy to the Incubator

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> [2] greddin indicated in his email that his vote was binding, but he isn't
>    listed in committee-info.txt

Hmm, I assume that's just an oversight? I have karma to update that
file, but I expected Noel would do it.

Greg

[RESULTS] -- was: Re: [VOTE] Move Lucy to the Incubator

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I would like to call a vote for accepting "Apache Lucy" for incubation in the
: Apache Incubator. The full proposal is available below.  We ask the Incubator
: PMC to sponsor it, with myself (hossman) as Champion, and mattmann, upayavira,
: mikemccand, and hossman volunteering to be Mentors.

It's been about 5 days, and I count 7(6?) binding votes in favor,
1(2?) non-binding votes in favor and no votes opposed...
	mikemccand [1]
	mattmann
	greddin    [2]
	hossman    [3]
	upayavira
	cutting
	jukka
Other Non-Binding Votes...
	otis

[1] mikemccand's IPMC membership was ACKed+72 a little under 72 Hours ago
[2] greddin indicated in his email that his vote was binding, but he isn't
    listed in committee-info.txt
[3] hossman's IPMC membership was ACKed+72 but i have not yet been added
    to committee-info.txt

I believe this means that Lucy is now officially a Podling of the
Incubator?

Is there any other steps neccessary before we begin the Podling
Setup/BootStraping process?
   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html

-Hoss

Re: [VOTE] Move Lucy to the Incubator

[...]