Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by octavian Rasnita <or...@home.ro> on 2002/04/11 16:46:09 UTC

Connecting to an Apache web server

Hi all,

The situation:
I have 2 computers. One with Red Hat 7.2 and Apache 1.3.
The other with Win 2k. They are connected in a network that works for
transfering files, etc.

What I want (and I don't know how):
I want to connect from the Win 2k machine (192.168.0.1) to the Linux machine
(192.168.0.2) to simply view a web page from the Apache web server.

If I type 192.168.0.2 in Internet Explorer, it opens the dial up connection
trying to connect to internet instead of using the lan to connect to the
loaded web server from the Linux machine.

Please tell me what should I set in Apache, Linux or Windows to make that
possible.

Note: From the Windows machine I want to be able to connect to internet
using the modem and the dial up also.

Thank you very very much!
A lot of questions on more groups with no solution until now.

Teddy

Re: Connecting to an Apache web server

Posted by Sean Finney <fi...@cs.swarthmore.edu>.
On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 05:46:09PM +0300, octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If I type 192.168.0.2 in Internet Explorer, it opens the dial up connection
> trying to connect to internet instead of using the lan to connect to the
> loaded web server from the Linux machine.
>
> Please tell me what should I set in Apache, Linux or Windows to make that
> possible.

turn off the automatic connect feature for your windows internet
connection.  in other versions of windows (don't know about 2k),
you can do this from IE's 'internet settings' option.

also, i think you can still connect to the server without doing this,
if you use another web browser that isn't 'integrated' into the OS ;>

--sean