Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2001/02/27 18:43:06 UTC

FreeBSD and gnu m4

Sorry, I'm confused here; my FreeBSD 4.2 system has /usr/bin/m4 and
/usr/local/bin/gm4.  Do I need to do some icky softlinking to make APR
use gm4?  Or is there a better solution?

Re: FreeBSD and gnu m4

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 11:43:06AM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Sorry, I'm confused here; my FreeBSD 4.2 system has /usr/bin/m4 and
> /usr/local/bin/gm4.  Do I need to do some icky softlinking to make APR
> use gm4?  Or is there a better solution?

I believe you should be able to say:

M4=/usr/local/bin/gm4 autoconf

In particular, this would go into your apr/buildconf. Please let us know if
that works for you.

Later, I'll that account on newton to figure out the difference between m4
and gm4.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: FreeBSD and gnu m4

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@galois.collab.net>.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> I'd rather we find out what is wrong with BSD m4.

News flash: it's not just BSD m4 -- my Debian Linux box also cannot
build APR now, with exactly the same errors as Ben reported from BSD.

   galois$ m4 --version
   GNU m4 1.4
   galois$

I have not been following this issue closely enough to have an opinion
on whether Jim J's patch is the right thing or not.  However, if it
works, I think we should commit it now and *then* come up with a
better fix, rather than have a broken head.

I will try it, & if it works, commit with a comment indicating that
further review is desired.

-K

Re: FreeBSD and gnu m4

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
It solves it, but it is much less effective than the approach that is
currently in there. Specifically, it invokes a bunch of subshells and seds
for each and every header. My change last night totally avoids that by
moving the effort into m4 rather than runtime.

I'd rather we find out what is wrong with BSD m4.

Cheers,
-g

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:04:39AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Jim just posted a patch which should solve the problem without using
> GNUm4.
>
> Ryan
>
> On 27 Feb 2001, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>

> > Sorry, I'm confused here; my FreeBSD 4.2 system has /usr/bin/m4 and
> > /usr/local/bin/gm4.  Do I need to do some icky softlinking to make APR
> > use gm4?  Or is there a better solution?

> 406 29th St.
> San Francisco, CA 94131

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: FreeBSD and gnu m4