Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> on 2010/09/22 20:44:14 UTC

[PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Hi,

in preparation for the release of Apache Maven 3.0, the Maven team is
seeking your help to discover regressions since Maven 2.x. Everybody
interested in taking a preview of the upcoming release for a test drive
can get source and binary bundles from this URL:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-006/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-RC2/

Before reporting any issues found during testing, please be sure to have
a close look at the compatibility notes for Maven 3.x:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes

If you encounter unexpected build issues, please fill a report in JIRA
that provides sufficient information to reproduce and analyze the issue:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG

The fixes contained in this release candidate since the 3.0-beta-3
release and the previous RC1 can also be seen in JIRA:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?atl_token=PRIR5ueW-i&version=13142&styleName=Text&projectId=10500&Create=Create

Thanks,

-The Maven team

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Jesse Farinacci <ji...@gmail.com>.
Great!

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Benjamin Bentmann
<be...@udo.edu> wrote:

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-006/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-RC2/

I just performed a 30-something multi-module release (prepare, perform
[deploy, site-deploy]) and I did not notice any hiccups. Performance
was not noticeably different for me, but I've been using 3.0-beta3
since its release.

[INFO] Maven Version: 3.0-RC2
[INFO] JDK Version: 1.6.0_21 normalized as: 1.6.0-21
[INFO] OS Info: Arch: amd64 Family: unix Name: linux Version: 2.6.32.21

Nice!

-Jesse

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

> Is it a new process?

Not really, it's pretty much the same as with Maven 2.1.0-M1, 2.1.0 and
2.2.0 which in total had more than a dozen RCs [0], none of them
officially released.

Benjamin

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
Is it a new process? For previous release, it was necessary to vote for all
RC.
Why don't you run a vote for 3.0 RCx?

Emmanuel

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
Le Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:44:14 +0200,
Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu> a écrit :

> Hi,

works fine except for a regression I already noticed (and tells in beta-2).

The problem occurs when you use more than one plugin execution declared in different profile.

I will make a little example to explain it better and post it to JIRA.

> in preparation for the release of Apache Maven 3.0, the Maven team is
> seeking your help to discover regressions since Maven 2.x. Everybody
> interested in taking a preview of the upcoming release for a test drive
> can get source and binary bundles from this URL:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-006/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-RC2/
>
> Before reporting any issues found during testing, please be sure to have
> a close look at the compatibility notes for Maven 3.x:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes
>
> If you encounter unexpected build issues, please fill a report in JIRA
> that provides sufficient information to reproduce and analyze the issue:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG
>
> The fixes contained in this release candidate since the 3.0-beta-3
> release and the previous RC1 can also be seen in JIRA:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?atl_token=PRIR5ueW-i&version=13142&styleName=Text&projectId=10500&Create=Create
>
> Thanks,
>

> -The Maven team

Tony Chemit

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by kristian <m....@web.de>.
cool ;-) thanx.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.

Posted by kristian <m....@web.de>.
Hi,

still having problem with ProjectBuilder. after I followed the API
change of the ProjectBuildingRequest I see following
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:185)
	at org.sonatype.aether.impl.internal.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:175)
	at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultProjectBuilder.build(DefaultProjectBuilder.java:237)
	at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultProjectBuilder.build(DefaultProjectBuilder.java:219)
	at de.saumya.mojo.gemify.TestMojo.execute(TestMojo.java:60)

I setup a gist with the problematic code:
http://gist.github.com/593253

it works with version beta-2 and before and gets the NPE with version
beta-3 and later.

any hints are welcome to do the "better".

with regards, Kristian

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Hermod wrote:

> Using IBM JRE so I'll wait to see if it gets fixed.

OK, Stuart McCulloch debugged this and tracked it down to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6419 which affects the
ConflictMarker.mark() method from Aether.

Stuart also created a patch that should allow us to workaround the bug.
Nevertheless, we encourage all users of IBM JREs to vote on fixing this
properly in the JRE.

Benjamin

RE: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by he...@dnbnor.no.
Hi

Using IBM JRE so I'll wait to see if it gets fixed.

Hermod
Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
hermod.opstvedt@dnbnor.no wrote:

> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1:install
> (default-install) on project
> site-resources: Execution default-install of goal
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1:install failed: Un
> able to load the mojo 'install' in the plugin
> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1'. A required class
> is
>   missing: org.codehaus.plexus.digest.Digester

This looks like http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4794 which turned
out to be an issue with IBM's JRE. If this error occurred using a Sun
JRE, please create an issue with detailed logs and steps to reproduce it.

Benjamin

RE: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by he...@dnbnor.no.
Hi

Our build which consists of 57 projects fails with the following on
3.0-RC2 (Ok on 2.2.1)

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1:install
(default-install) on project
site-resources: Execution default-install of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1:install failed: Un
able to load the mojo 'install' in the plugin
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1'. A required class
is
 missing: org.codehaus.plexus.digest.Digester
[ERROR] -----------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] realm =
plugin>org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-plugin:2.3.1
[ERROR] strategy =
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.strategy.SelfFirstStrategy
[ERROR] urls[0] =
file:/e:/data/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-install-plug
in/2.3.1/maven-install-plugin-
2.3.1.jar
[ERROR] urls[1] =
file:/e:/data/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/plexus/plexus-utils/1.1/plexus
-utils-1.1.jar
[ERROR] Number of foreign imports: 4
[ERROR] import: Entry[import
org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.pull.XmlSerializer from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent:
null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import
org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.pull.XmlPullParserException from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core,
 parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import
org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.pull.XmlPullParser from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent:
null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.Xpp3Dom from
realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] realm =    maven.api
[ERROR] strategy =
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.strategy.SelfFirstStrategy
[ERROR] Number of foreign imports: 21
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.sonatype.aether from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.personality from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.logging from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.lifecycle from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.context from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.container from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.configuration from
realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.component from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import
org.codehaus.plexus.PlexusContainerException from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: nul
l]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.PlexusContainer from
realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.PlexusConstants from
realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.MutablePlexusContainer
from realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]
]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import
org.codehaus.plexus.DuplicateChildContainerException from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, par
ent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer
from realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]
]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultContainerConfiguration from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent
: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import
org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultComponentRegistry from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: nul
l]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.ContainerConfiguration
from realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]
]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.plexus.ComponentRegistry from
realm ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.codehaus.classworlds from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]
[ERROR] import: Entry[import org.apache.maven from realm
ClassRealm[plexus.core, parent: null]]

mvh
Hermod

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Kristian,

Kristian Rosenvold wrote:

> Den 23.09.2010 11:31, skrev Jörg Schaible:
>> Is it possible that the new code for parallel processing unintentionally
>> swallows the OOME? Does someone else observe the same behavior?
>>
> Are you running with the -T option active ?

No.

- Jörg

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
Den 23.09.2010 11:31, skrev Jörg Schaible:
> Is it possible that the new code for parallel processing unintentionally
> swallows the OOME? Does someone else observe the same behavior?

Are you running with the -T option active ?

Kristian

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Did you try running the build with JMX? Watching for memory&cpu consumption?
And doing a thread dump to know where the build is actually stuck could be
interesting.

Cheers

2010/9/24 Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Coy wrote:
>
> > Are you using Surefire 2.6? I believe that has a memory leak. See
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-647.
>
> Well, most use Surefire 2.5, only the latest projects use already 2.6. I
> ran
> the build with -DskipTests so that this memory leak should not interfere.
> Nevertheless it runs out of heap space 5 projects later i.e. if there is
> a(n
> additional) memory leak, it is somewhere else.
>
> However, I complained about the build to freeze and not stopping with OOME.
> This happened to me more more than once, the OOME is occurring only
> sometimes and I wanted to know if someone else is facing this ...
>
> - Jörg

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Stephen,

Posted by Stephen Coy <st...@resolvesw.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Works fine here (company builds and some open source stuff)
Thanks !

2010/9/22 Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>:
> Hi,
>
> in preparation for the release of Apache Maven 3.0, the Maven team is
> seeking your help to discover regressions since Maven 2.x. Everybody
> interested in taking a preview of the upcoming release for a test drive can
> get source and binary bundles from this URL:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-006/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-RC2/
>
> Before reporting any issues found during testing, please be sure to have a
> close look at the compatibility notes for Maven 3.x:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Maven+3.x+Compatibility+Notes
>
> If you encounter unexpected build issues, please fill a report in JIRA that
> provides sufficient information to reproduce and analyze the issue:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG
>
> The fixes contained in this release candidate since the 3.0-beta-3 release
> and the previous RC1 can also be seen in JIRA:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?atl_token=PRIR5ueW-i&version=13142&styleName=Text&projectId=10500&Create=Create
>
> Thanks,
>

> -The Maven team

Olivier
http://twitter.com/olamy
http://www.linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: [PLEASE TEST] Apache Maven 3.0-RC2

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Works fine with my most important builds, including "site".

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)

Posted by kristian <m....@web.de>.
Hi,