Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Fernando Jimenez <la...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/15 16:02:17 UTC

Releasing multimodule project with the release plugin

Hi all

I'm trying to release a multi-module project using Maven, but I am
having trouble due to unresolved dependencies.

In short, when I try to do a "prepare", it complains about SNAPSHOT
dependencies.

We have a top level project, which is defined as packaging type "pom".
We then have children modules, some of which are defined as "jar"
packaging, and others as "pom". Inside those modules with "pom"
packaging type, we have some more "jar" packages. So looks something
like this:

X (pom)

--- Y1 (jar)
--- Y2 (jar)

--- Y3 (pom)
|   |
|   --- Z1 (jar)
|   --- Z2 (jar)

--- Y4 (pom)

    --- Z3 (jar)
    --- Z4 (jar)

Each of the leafs in this tree (the jar types), has dependency to
other modules in the hierarchy. We defined the versions for the
dependency as <version>${project.version}</version>

Each node in the tree, other than the top level (X) defines the parent
to be it's inmediate parent in the tree, but the version is specified
to be <version>x.y.z-SNAPSHOT</version>.

When we had a simplified tree structure, with only one "pom" package
at the top, and only "jar" modules in it, our releases worked
perfectly. Now that we work in a multi-level hierarchy, the release
plugin doesn't like our dependencies on ${project.version} for some
reason, throwing the dreaded "Can't release project due to non
released dependencies" error message.

Anyone know what may be happening here? please let me know if you need
more details

Cheers