Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2008/01/16 20:57:27 UTC

[VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

I'd like to release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1 as I kind of need it
for some of my projects.  I think Geronimo may need it as well.

This fixes a couple issues we'e run into:

** Bug
    * [MSHADE-11] - Shaded jars are not unjarrable
    * [MSHADE-13] - META-INF/INDEX.LIST files need to be skipped
** New Feature
    * [MSHADE-12] - Ability to filter contents of the archives added to
the shaded jar

Release notes:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13921&styleName=Text&projectId=11540&Create=Create

Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/tags/maven-shade-plugin-1.0-beta-1/

Staged at:
http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_shade/

The vote will be open for 72 hours.

Here is my +1
--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: [VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

On 16-Jan-08, at 11:57 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> I'd like to release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1 as I kind of need it
> for some of my projects.  I think Geronimo may need it as well.
>
> This fixes a couple issues we'e run into:
>
> ** Bug
>    * [MSHADE-11] - Shaded jars are not unjarrable
>    * [MSHADE-13] - META-INF/INDEX.LIST files need to be skipped
> ** New Feature
>    * [MSHADE-12] - Ability to filter contents of the archives added to
> the shaded jar
>
> Release notes:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13921&styleName=Text&projectId=11540&Create=Create
>
> Tag:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/tags/maven-shade-plugin-1.0-beta-1/
>
> Staged at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dkulp/stage_shade/
>

> The vote will be open for 72 hours.
>
> Here is my +1
> --
> J. Daniel Kulp
> Principal Engineer, IONA
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

-- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

[RESULT][VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
This vote has been open for 4 days now so I'm going to close it.

Results:
+1 - dkulp, jvanzyl*, brianf*, jstrachan*, jdillon, dblevins
-1 - dfabulich  (version number objection)
(*) Binding votes

There was also a +1 from mauro, but I could not determine if the +1 was
for the release or for the discussion about the version numbers.
(that's why having discussions in vote threads is bad, but that's partly
my own fault for starting it in the thread.)

In anycase, that's 3 binding +1 votes.   I'll proceed with getting this
synced.

Dan

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
+1 get it out and that doesn't stop us from doing another release soon.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
+1

--jason

Posted by Michael McCallum <gh...@apache.org>.
I agree 100%, release often its the only way things really get used and tested
in the wild... if people have problems they can alway roll back to the last
release in the deps...

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer

Re: [VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 17-Jan-08, at 6:24 PM, Dan Fabulich wrote:

> Responding out of order, techincal stuff first...
>
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
>
>> The fact is MSHADE-9 is not something we can fix in maven-shade-
>> plugin. It's a bug in ASM and isn't fixable until they provide a
>> fix.  (unless someone wants to jump into ASM code.  I don't have
>> the time.)
>
> I'm not saying MSHADE-9 is easy to fix, but that claim assumes we're
> using ASM correctly, which seems like a pretty bold assumption to
> me; ASM is notoriously finicky.  If anything's likely to be wrong,
> it's probably us!

We can talk to Eugene as  I got his advice first. He's as ASM
committer and it's his code in ASM that I originally used.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A party which is not afraid of letting culture,
business, and welfare go to ruin completely can
be omnipotent for a while.

-- Jakob Burckhardt

Re: [VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

On 17-Jan-08, at 6:30 PM, Brian E. Fox wrote:

> It's not entirely true that versions don't matter. Alpha or Beta is
> really a less important distinction and we are generally trying to
> move
> away from more alpha/beta releases. I would argue that since Maven
> requires Shade to release, that the current version should be 1.0 not
> alpha or beta.
>
> Doing a release is much more than slapping a version (tag) on it. It
> makes the next version usable by other people to do releases because
> it
> means we've pushed a non-snapshot to the public. If there are people
> unaffected by MSHADE-9, then there is still value to those people in
> having a release now rather than later. I think in general we try to
> fix
> too many things at once and end up not getting important fixes out to
> the people that need them. I'd rather see a release come out with the
> current fixes and then when MSHADE-9 is fixed, we do another
> release. At
> least then some people can use it rather than making everyone
> wait...and
> realistically doing the release doesn't preclude someone from fixing
> the
> issue in parallel so it shouldn't in theory delay the inevitable
> release
> with the MSHADE-9 fix in it.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

-- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: [VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.
Brian E. Fox wrote:
> It's not entirely true that versions don't matter. Alpha or Beta is
> really a less important distinction and we are generally trying to move
> away from more alpha/beta releases. I would argue that since Maven
> requires Shade to release, that the current version should be 1.0 not
> alpha or beta.
>
> Doing a release is much more than slapping a version (tag) on it. It
> makes the next version usable by other people to do releases because it
> means we've pushed a non-snapshot to the public. If there are people
> unaffected by MSHADE-9, then there is still value to those people in
> having a release now rather than later. I think in general we try to fix
> too many things at once and end up not getting important fixes out to
> the people that need them. I'd rather see a release come out with the
> current fixes and then when MSHADE-9 is fixed, we do another release. At
> least then some people can use it rather than making everyone wait...and
> realistically doing the release doesn't preclude someone from fixing the
> issue in parallel so it shouldn't in theory delay the inevitable release
> with the MSHADE-9 fix in it.

+1

Betas (and alphas) IMO should be milestones towards a final major
release 1.x or 2.x.  But all too often betas tend to get treated as
"final" releases.  No problem in having a release with a known issue (in
this case MSHADE-9).

RE: [VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

dkulp wrote:

> I'd like to release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1 as I kind of need it
> for some of my projects.  I think Geronimo may need it as well.

OpenEJB, actually.  And here's my +1! (non-binding)

-David

Re: [VOTE] release maven-shade-plugin 1.0-beta-1

Posted by "James.Strachan" <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1