Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Czesław Wolański <cz...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/31 11:10:25 UTC

Native speaker's expertise needed

Hi,

while working on translation into Polish I found two strings:

- FRENCH:
  "Montrer les éléments d'écriture b~i directionnel"
  wording: "bi directionnel" - shouldn't it be "bidirectionnel"?

  Due screenshots are available at the following link:

  https://pasteboard.co/J1D5Qko.jpg

- ENGLISH:
  "Starts test mode. Click the dialog closer icon to end test mode."

  Is "dialog closer icon" admissible/adequate/common? Just like "can
opener"?
  I have never seen such wording in ICT or in programming.

  Due screenshots are available at the following link:

  https://pasteboard.co/J1D69IY.jpg

Neither French nor English is my mother tongue and I don't want to be "more
catholic than the pope" ("
*être plus catholique que le pape*"). So could a native speaker (French,
English - respectively) express his/her opinion.

Regards,

Czesław

Re: Native speaker's expertise needed

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 01.04.20 um 21:51 schrieb Czesław Wolański:
> Hi,
>
> My sincere apologies. Somehow I was convinced that ReadMe file is not in
> Pootle (that is why Luke did not use the search).
It is part of the translation, so it is in Pootle.

> Hope that someone will enlighten me on: "the dialog closer icon"

I am no native speaker, but since this is the original string a change
must be done in the source code.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Czesław Wolański <cz...@gmail.com>.