Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch> on 2020/05/17 11:19:16 UTC

fineract.dev CI/CD now always automatically deploys the latest Fineract develop branch

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to share that https://www.fineract.dev now always automatically
updates itself from the very latest source code available on the develop
branch of Fineract! (I actually used to manually update it before.)

New deployments take about 15’ after any of our great committer merges Pull
Requests from you - our contributors. Something that is pretty cool is that
on https://demo.fineract.dev/fineract-provider/actuator/info anyone can now
actually see the exact Git commit revision that is currently running (this
is based on FINERACT-883
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-883>).

If you are curious about some of the technical details involved here behind
the scenes,
http://blog2.vorburger.ch/2020/05/fineractdev-cicd-from-github-to-google.html
may interest you. You can see one part of what my blog post describes in
live action on https://github.com/apache/fineract/actions - note the new
"Deploy to https://www.fineract.dev" workflow, driven by
https://github.com/apache/fineract/blob/develop/.github/workflows/fineract.dev.yaml
.

Something perhaps worth pointing out here is that this is based on modern
cloud native CI/CD... to users, it's made to look like the "server" never
"stops". Incoming API HTTP traffic is transparently switched over from old
to new runtimes. So as you use fineract.dev, it's now entirely possible
that, following the merge of a Pull Request, in one instant you hit "old"
code, but your next API request hits "new" code that just got deployed!
Cool, right?

I'm hoping this makes Fineract.dev even more useful to the community, and
will serve both as a showcase for the project, as well as be of value e.g.
for your QA. (Should you have an interest in a non-demo more stable hosted
instance of Apache Fineract, please reach out to me privately - I'm
interested in learning more about the need and expectations in this space.)

Stay safe & keep hacking and contributing!

Best,
M.
_______________________
Michael Vorburger
http://www.vorburger.ch

Re: [Mifos-users] [Mifos-developer] fineract.dev CI/CD now always automatically deploys the latest Fineract develop branch

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Thank you Michael for making this available to the community.

Re: [Mifos-developer] fineract.dev CI/CD now always automatically deploys the latest Fineract develop branch

Posted by qwert test <qw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the update

Re: fineract.dev CI/CD now always automatically deploys the latest Fineract develop branch

Posted by Frank Nkuyahaga <ha...@gmail.com>.
Good stuff Michael! This is a great stride

Posted by Manthan Surkar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations Michael, great work!

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 6:04 PM Frank Nkuyhaga <fr...@fiter.io> wrote:

> Good stuff Michael! This is a great stride!
>
> On 17 May 2020, at 14:45, Yemdjih Kaze Nasser <ka...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Nice work. Thanks again for your great contributions.
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2020, 12:33 Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Congratulations Mike. This is very good work and will improve the project
>> as a whole. This is the way to run Enterprise Applications in the 2020s.
>>
>> On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:20 PM Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm happy to share that https://www.fineract.dev now always
>>> automatically updates itself from the very latest source code available on
>>> the develop branch of Fineract! (I actually used to manually update it
>>> before.)
>>>
>>> New deployments take about 15’ after any of our great committer merges
>>> Pull Requests from you - our contributors. Something that is pretty cool is
>>> that on https://demo.fineract.dev/fineract-provider/actuator/info
>>> anyone can now actually see the exact Git commit revision that is currently
>>> running (this is based on FINERACT-883
>>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-883>).
>>>
>>> If you are curious about some of the technical details involved here
>>> behind the scenes,
>>> http://blog2.vorburger.ch/2020/05/fineractdev-cicd-from-github-to-google.html
>>> may interest you. You can see one part of what my blog post describes in
>>> live action on https://github.com/apache/fineract/actions - note the
>>> new "Deploy to https://www.fineract.dev" workflow, driven by
>>> https://github.com/apache/fineract/blob/develop/.github/workflows/fineract.dev.yaml
>>> .
>>>
>>> Something perhaps worth pointing out here is that this is based on
>>> modern cloud native CI/CD... to users, it's made to look like the "server"
>>> never "stops". Incoming API HTTP traffic is transparently switched over
>>> from old to new runtimes. So as you use fineract.dev, it's now entirely
>>> possible that, following the merge of a Pull Request, in one instant you
>>> hit "old" code, but your next API request hits "new" code that just got
>>> deployed! Cool, right?
>>>
>>> I'm hoping this makes Fineract.dev even more useful to the community,
>>> and will serve both as a showcase for the project, as well as be of value
>>> e.g. for your QA. (Should you have an interest in a non-demo more stable
>>> hosted instance of Apache Fineract, please reach out to me privately - I'm
>>> interested in learning more about the need and expectations in this space.)
>>>
>>> Stay safe & keep hacking and contributing!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> M.

Posted by Frank Nkuyhaga <fr...@fiter.io>.

Posted by Yemdjih Kaze Nasser <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sendoro Juma <se...@singo.africa>.
Nice piece of work;

Thanks a lot for the contribution.

---

On 2020-05-17 14:19, Michael Vorburger wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm happy to share that https://www.fineract.dev now always automatically updates itself from the very latest source code available on the develop branch of Fineract! (I actually used to manually update it before.)
>
> New deployments take about 15' after any of our great committer merges Pull Requests from you - our contributors. Something that is pretty cool is that on https://demo.fineract.dev/fineract-provider/actuator/info anyone can now actually see the exact Git commit revision that is currently running (this is based on FINERACT-883 [1]).
>
> If you are curious about some of the technical details involved here behind the scenes, http://blog2.vorburger.ch/2020/05/fineractdev-cicd-from-github-to-google.html may interest you. You can see one part of what my blog post describes in live action on https://github.com/apache/fineract/actions - note the new "Deploy to https://www.fineract.dev" workflow, driven by https://github.com/apache/fineract/blob/develop/.github/workflows/fineract.dev.yaml.
>
> Something perhaps worth pointing out here is that this is based on modern cloud native CI/CD... to users, it's made to look like the "server" never "stops". Incoming API HTTP traffic is transparently switched over from old to new runtimes. So as you use fineract.dev [2], it's now entirely possible that, following the merge of a Pull Request, in one instant you hit "old" code, but your next API request hits "new" code that just got deployed! Cool, right?
>
> I'm hoping this makes Fineract.dev even more useful to the community, and will serve both as a showcase for the project, as well as be of value e.g. for your QA. (Should you have an interest in a non-demo more stable hosted instance of Apache Fineract, please reach out to me privately - I'm interested in learning more about the need and expectations in this space.)
>
> Stay safe & keep hacking and contributing!
>
> Best,
> M.

Links:
------
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-883
[2] http://fineract.dev

Re: fineract.dev CI/CD now always automatically deploys the latest Fineract develop branch

Posted by Natasha Natarajan <na...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations, Michael!