Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2021/12/22 17:45:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Trolls and community

Hey community, I need your help. You might have noticed that Vladimir
and I are fighting it out in a long email thread [1].

I find it stressful and time-consuming to be involved in threads such
as this with Vladimir. And I find myself taking out my frustrations on
my family. I should not have to go through this.

Ten years ago Ceki Gülcü, founder of Log4j, wrote a blog post on why
he left Apache [2]. It's a great post, and you should read it.
Vladimir himself has cited it in other Apache threads recently,
although he probably identifies with different personas in the post
than I do.

One of the themes of the blog post is that the community must step in
and enforce culture, and not give trolls the benefit of the doubt.

Read the article, and having read it, if you agree, step up.

Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/gjytkp4obzh8lnn686cwlb87y07nq6f6

[2] http://ceki.blogspot.com/2010/05/forces-and-vulnerabilites-of-apache.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Trolls and community

Posted by JiaTao Tao <ta...@gmail.com>.
About maven, I still miss it.
Arguing is pointless
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

Regards!

Aron Tao

Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com> 于2021年12月23日周四 07:10写道:

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

response:
"This is not an improvement because it adds a new Kotlin language in a form
of .kts files"
https://lists.apache.org/thread/plb3rjypqrwo34qr3o2fdh2qqofx04y9
^^ this is not fun.
I know what I am doing. I am sure the scripts I added are readable and
understandable.
I know I use up-to-date approaches.
Please, what is the reason to mention a generic risk of "adding a new
language"?

-----

Later I rolled @nullable annotations via Checkerframework
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4199

I suggest everybody take a break, think for a couple of seconds and decide
if @nullable annotations in Calcite code
turned out to be helpful or unhelpful (for both developing Calcite, and

From my point of view, it was super frustrating to receive feedback like in

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
Dear Calciters,
it is indeed a hard conversation to reply to, but I really like this
community, and I feel that the largest possible participation to this
discussion is needed, I strongly encourage others to chime in as well, even
if they are mostly readers of the ML.

I think that Jacques summarised pretty well the issues and the possible
solutions, I won't reiterate on that but try to add what I think could be
missing.

IMO most of the issues come from a constant tension between people which
are more prone to changes, and others that are more risk averse (force of
habit, personal attitude, day job-related responsibilities, etc.).

Orthogonal to that, there are objective benefits/risks and totally
subjective ones. We are all biassed in one way or another, but we should
always try to distinguish between the two, and try to be honest with
ourselves in the first place. Compromise is key to any successful
relationship and community, we should never forget that.

Decisions are not set in stone either, in some moments we might try a way
and go back to where we were, or maybe we turn a proposal down now, and we
reconsider it later on (sometimes people just need to digest things).

I know it's easy to identify oneself fully into a single persona from a
post like that, but reality is never black or white, the truth is we are
more often than not on one of the two sides depending on the situation, we
all make mistakes, we all have our limits.

Last but not least, the aforementioned problems have been there already for
quite some time, but I think we are also living in highly stressful times
due to the pandemics, which is affecting us in so many ways, directly or
indirectly. Now more than ever we should be really careful with the way we
convey our messages, and we should strive to be even more emphatic than
ever. There are a lot of people in real pain out there, and forcibly we
must have our share of them as well in our community here.

Just a last word to Julian and Vladimir: you are both very much appreciated
and respected in this community, your work too, your commitment and
dedication are a source of inspiration for many of us, I have personally
learned a lot by reading your comments and from our interactions, I will
always be grateful to you for that. It would be really sad to see any of
you go, from both a professional but also a personal standpoint, but I
value mental health very much and I would understand if you decide
otherwise and wish you all the best.

Best regards,
Alessandro

Posted by Albert <zi...@gmail.com>.