Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> on 2009/03/11 12:06:32 UTC

Re: [Discussion] Release Artefacts

Thanks for everyone's input on this:

Seems like we are all agreeing that more discreet packages would be better.

Just to summerise what everyone has said I believe these packages is
what everyone is looking for:

A single source package for the source release as well as the cpp
source package that removes the build dependency on ruby. The provided
binaries would be split in to broker, client, examples and tools. The
C++ binaries that we actually build could be limited to Windows, as
downstream packagers will provide other builds we can link to. Each
client language should have their own package and an additional
example/documentation package. Finally we will have a set of packages
for the management tools from all languages. Carl, you mentioned other
C++ tools but on the wiki I only see details about QMF and QMan if you
let me know what the other items that we should package are I'll pop
them on the list here:

- Single Source package
- C++ Source package
- Binary Packages for
 + Brokers
   + C++
     - Windows only from Qpid, simply link to other downstream binary
builds for other platforms
   + Java
 + Client and Example Package
   + C++
     - Windows only from Qpid, simply link to other downstream binary
builds for other platforms
   + C# (0-8,0-10)
   + Java
   + Python
   + Ruby
+ Management
  - Eclipse JMX Console
    + Win
    + Linux
    + OS X
 - JMX Command Line Tool
 - QMan / WsDmAdapter

Cheers

Martin

2009/2/19 Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>:
> [...]

Martin Ritchie

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Robert,

That is the plan, yes.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/11 Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>:

> It's most likely to be one installer with optional components for
> broker, client, examples, docs. Or something close to that.

Are you going to use WiX?

RG

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2009/3/11 Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>:

> I think we should create a page for community built binaries, on this page
> we can link any non-apache signed builds.
> This could include
> - windows binaries
> - RPMs we build
> - I know some has built it for Umbatu etc
> - A Sun build, etc...
>
> Make is open so anyone can add links to builds of a specific Qpid release
>
> thoughts..
> Carl.

Exactly what I was thinking. Reminds me of other OS projects you've
got their main source/bin release then links to other binaries that
the community provide.

Where do the QMF command line tools get built? Would you be able to
get a script to package them up for distribution?

Cheers

Martin

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's input on this:
>
> Seems like we are all agreeing that more discreet packages would be better.
>
> Just to summerise what everyone has said I believe these packages is
> what everyone is looking for:
>
> A single source package for the source release as well as the cpp
> source package that removes the build dependency on ruby. The provided
> binaries would be split in to broker, client, examples and tools. The
> C++ binaries that we actually build could be limited to Windows, as
> downstream packagers will provide other builds we can link to. Each
> client language should have their own package and an additional
> example/documentation package. Finally we will have a set of packages
> for the management tools from all languages. Carl, you mentioned other
> C++ tools but on the wiki I only see details about QMF and QMan if you
> let me know what the other items that we should package are I'll pop
> them on the list here:
>
> - Single Source package
> - C++ Source package
> - Binary Packages for
>  + Brokers
>    + C++
>      - Windows only from Qpid, simply link to other downstream binary
> builds for other platforms
>    + Java
>  + Client and Example Package
>    + C++
>      - Windows only from Qpid, simply link to other downstream binary
> builds for other platforms
>    + C# (0-8,0-10)
>    + Java
>    + Python
>    + Ruby
> + Management
>   - Eclipse JMX Console
>     + Win
>     + Linux
>     + OS X
>  - JMX Command Line Tool
>  - QMan / WsDmAdapter
The QMF command line tools are missing from the list
Carl.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Martin,