Posted to regexp-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Rajesh Purohit <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2000/12/21 09:53:20 UTC

1 PROBLEM executing servlet using tomcat

hello there,

> i m using jakarta-tocat.. on my windows NT platform with personal peer web
> server version 4.0..
> with service pack 6.0..
>
> The problem is ... whenever i try to execute a servlet that returns a HTML
> script back to the browser while storing some data into the database...
The
> data is stored into the database but the html codes to show the messages
on
> the client side doen't work..
> But the sample codes for servlets with the tomcat appln runs very well..
>
> i'm attaching the java source code with this mail..

code is modified.. there may be some syntex error now.. but while executing
it was not as this...

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
//import java.util.*;
import java.net.*;
import java.sql.*;

public class addr_serv extends HttpServlet
{
//Initialize global variables
    Connection con;
    Statement stmt;

  public void init(ServletConfig config) throws ServletException
  {
    super.init(config);
    try
    {
		con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:sample");
		stmt = con.createStatement();

    }
	catch(ClassNotFoundException abc)
	{
		System.out.println("class not found");
	}
	catch(SQLException sqle)
    {
    	System.out.println("due to connection error"+sqle);
    }
  }//end init()

	//Process the HTTP Get request

response) throws ServletException, IOException
    {
			if (request.getParameter("code").equals("display"))
			{
				display(request, response);
			}
				response.setContentType("text/html");
				PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter (response.getOutputStream());
				out.println("<html>");
				out.println("<body>");
				out.println("</body></html>");
				out.close();

    }

     //Process the HTTP Post request

    public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse
response) throws ServletException, IOException
    {
        try
        {

            response.setContentType("text/html");
            PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter (response.getOutputStream());

            ObjectInputStream ois = new
ObjectInputStream(request.getInputStream());

			String str = "insert into addr values(?,?,?,?,?,?)";

  			PreparedStatement pst = con.prepareStatement(str);

// these string variables firstName, lastName comes from the html form.....

		pst.setString(1, firstName);
			pst.setString(2, lastName);
			pst.setString(3, email);
			pst.setDouble(4, phone1);
			pst.setString(5, "ngp");
			pst.setDouble(6, 440009);

			pst.executeUpdate();
/*
//	DATA IS STORED IN THE DATABASE BUT
//		THE HTML TAGS.. WHICH I WANT TO SEND BACK TO CLIENT.. OR BROWSER
//	IS NOT PRINTED ... BUT THE System.out.println(); works very well it
writes data back to
//  	the console where tomcat  is running
//	ALSO THE EXAMPLES GIVEN WITH JAKARTA-TOCAT PACKAGE RUNS VERY FINE
*/

            item_obj.set_msg("ok");

            ObjectOutputStream oos = new
ObjectOutputStream(response.getOutputStream());

            oos.writeObject(item_obj);

            oos.close();

            oos.flush();
            out.close();
         }
         catch(Exception ae)
         {
            System.out.println(ae + ae.getMessage());

         }

    }
}

REGARDS,