Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/02/02 12:45:29 UTC

[Numbers] Make "Complex" a "final" class? (Was: [...] API of "Complex")

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 08:30:00 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I like the "of" prefix but I think it might be odd to force the
> convention
> for ALL factories. It might be an English language thing for me.
>
> For example, (picking a made up example) this reads really well to
> me:
> Pair.of(foo, bar) because that what you'd use in spoken English.
>
> OTOH, this does not read well to me: Fraction.of(num, denum); this
> would be
> better: Fraction.from(num, denum)
>
> All of this to say that we should make sure that the factory method
> "reads
> well" for that class. I know it might feel subjective.
>
> I like the idea of a private ctor but it does not have to be unique
> in my
> mind. Sure, it's nice if there is one.
>
> I also like the idea of the ctor being private because we can open it
> up
> later to protected if we want to allow for subclassing.
>
> I would also consider making classes final, especially if the ctor is
> private.

Any caveat on doing that?  Is this a final (!) decision or can one
change one's mind in a later release?
What are the benefits?

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Make "Complex" a "final" class?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 13:20:21 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Some of the classes you are talking about are what I call VALJOs.
> Follow these guidelines and your class will be well placed for the
> future.
> http://blog.joda.org/2014/03/valjos-value-java-objects.html

Thanks.
In that post, you mention "final" in this sentence:
---CUT---
The class must be immutable, which implies the final keyword
and thread-safety.
---CUT---
Do you mean that the *class* must be declared "final"?
A class can be immutable without being "final", can't it?
Or is the requirement necessary for future optimization of
value objects?

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Numbers] Make "Complex" a "final" class? (Was: [...] API of "Complex")

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.