Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Nishit Trivedi <ni...@planet.net> on 2000/06/07 15:58:21 UTC

converted PDF

hi,
sorry if this question is somewhat unrelated to cocoon user.
I am having xml file on which I applied FOP to convert it to PDF.
Now I am trying to send THIS CONVERTED PDF file as email attachment to user.
I don't have any clue  (:-(
How do i do it???

Thanx in advnace...

Nishit
Internet Programmer
Planet Access Networks
973-691-4704 Ext:157

Re: converted PDF

Posted by sudhi <su...@planet.net>.
Hi All,
It worked :-)
The easiest way was, Java Activation Framework.

Here is the snippet of the taglib which attaches the output of the url
as a file.
          msgPart = new javax.mail.internet.MimeBodyPart();
          URL url = new
URL("http://localhost/samples_old/xsp/"+filename+".xml?msds=32");
          msgPart.setDataHandler(new javax.activation.DataHandler(url));

          msgPart.setFileName(filename+".pdf");
          msgContent.addBodyPart(msgPart);
          msg.setContent(msgContent);

          Transport.send(msg);

 The url which it is pointing is an xml file, which looks like this
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?cocoon-process type="sql"?>
<?cocoon-process type="xslt"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="msds-fo.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>

<page>

 <connectiondefs>
  <connection name="foo_connection">
   <driver>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</driver>
   <dburl>jdbc:mysql://mydomain.com/test_msds</dburl>
   <username>user</username>
   <password>passwd</password>
  </connection>
 </connectiondefs>

 <query connection="foo_connection" count-attribute="count">
    select
prodname,uploaddate,title,rID,revdate,upc,prodnum,category,msdsnumber,mfg,itemnum
from msds where msdsnumber = '{@msds}'
 </query>
</page>

The stylesheet msds-fo.xsl is the one which converts the resulting xml
into a PDF file.

~Sudhi

Re: converted PDF

Posted by Rafael Oropeza <ro...@eud.com>.
Ok, I understand your situation. Searching about your problem in
"Professional Java Server Programming" (http://www.wrox.com), I've found
this:

"MIME messages in Java Mail API are capable of containing content other
than plain text. The setText() method is a convenience method that
accept a String object as te content an sets the content type to
text/plain. JavaMail relies on the Java Activation Framework's
DataContentHandlers for converting different content types to a byte
stream format suitable for transfer inclusion in a MIME message.
Unfortunately, the single DataContentHandler available with standard
JavaMail and JAF implementations only handles text/plain content types.
Adding support for other types is beyond the scope of this .... Refer to
JAF specification for more information"

So, I don't know how to implement this, but I hope this will be help you
to find a solution

Nishit Trivedi wrote:

> ok...here is the deal...I have an xml file(attached with this email)
> to which I am applying sql processor.Then I also apply style sheet to
> it as you can see in attached file.Then I apply FOP to convert that
> file into PDF file. Now the whole functionality is in one taglib.
> e.g.<email:mail to = "somebody@nothing.com" from =
> "nobody@something.com" file = "msds_for_cocoonuser.xml?msds=1"/> When
> I do this, it should grab msds_for_cocoonuser.xml, apply sql processor
> to it, apply style sheet to it, apply FOP to it, store the PDF as
> stream of bytes (not as a file in a file system) and THEN send the PDF
> file as an email attachment to user. This all should happen
> dynamically. I tried my best to explain the situation...any help will
> be appreciated... NishitInternet Programmer
> Planet Access Networks
> 973-691-4704 Ext:157

(51) Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans: it's lovely to be
silly at the right moment.
Horace

Re: converted PDF

Re: converted PDF

Posted by Rafael Oropeza <ro...@eud.com>.

Re: converted PDF

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Nishit Trivedi wrote:

> hi,
> sorry if this question is somewhat unrelated to cocoon user.
> I am having xml file on which I applied FOP to convert it to PDF.
> Now I am trying to send THIS CONVERTED PDF file as email attachment to user.
> I don't have any clue  (:-(
> How do i do it???

Using Cocoon2 as a JAMES (java.apache.org/james/) Mailet. :-)

But this is hard-core bleeding edge and you'll have to way quite some
time...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.