Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Lukas Bradley <lu...@somnia.com> on 2003/10/03 16:42:37 UTC

TagExtraInfo on getVariableInfo() - can't get parent information?

Hi all, I want to do this:

<my:tag array="myArray" var="myName" type="mycompany.MyObjectType">
   <my:header>
   </my:header>

   <my:inner-loop> <%-- LOOP PERFORMED HERE --%>
   </my:inner-loop>
</my:tag>

Where the object, a translation-time variable name, and object type are
defined in a parent tag, and the actual loop is performed within a child
tag.   In the example above, my:tag references the array and the
translation-time information.  The my:inner-loop tag will iterate over the
array after certain header information is displayed.

I'm sure some of you are asking, why not do this?

<my:tag>
   <my:header>
   </my:header>

   <my:inner-loop array="myArray" var="myName"
type="mycompany.MyObjectType">
   </my:inner-loop>
</my:tag>

Please assume there are other things going on within these tags, and it
helps with readability if the array is declared within the parent.

So-- the TagExtraInfo class, its getVariableInfo() method, and the TagData
object are all ignorant to the parent information.  Is there a way around
this?  I'm presently using J2EE 1.3.1, but the 1.4b2 API offers no new
features.

Thanks for any and all help.

Lukas