Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> on 2006/05/04 23:52:04 UTC

ping targets enabled by default?

guys,

one of the things that we are looking to do on blogs.sun.com is promote
some more ways of getting our blogs to be better connected with the
blogosphere as a whole.  one of the obvious ways of doing that is
through pinging of various sites that are interested in hearing about
blog content as it gets published, like Technorati.

Roller already has all the right tools for doing pings, but
unfortunately those pings are all turned off by default and there is no
way for a large site like ours to apply ping config changes that affect
all blogs in the system.  right now it is basically up to the user to
manually enable any pings they want to send and i am thinking it would
be nice if we did 2 things ...

1. provide the ability to make ping targets enabled by default for new
weblogs.  this way the user has to manually disable a ping, rather than
manually enable it.

2. provide a way for admins to enable/disable auto pings on a site wide
level.

This way large sites like ours could add a new ping target and quickly
enable that target for auto pings on all existing blogs as well as
future blogs.

The work to do this should be fairly minimal, basically all happening in
the global pings config page and a tweak to the action that creates a
new weblog.

thoughts?  comments?

-- Allen

Re: ping targets enabled by default?

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
I stand corrected.

This was my understanding as of the time I implemented it, but that was
admittedly before autodiscovery became prevalent.

As I interpret this, it means we could undertake Allen's suggestion without
other modifications.

--a.

Posted by Ian Kallen <ik...@technorati.com>.