Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Catalan Bird Tours <ca...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/18 10:51:35 UTC

Using DATABASE in OO

Hi all

After using the word processing component of OO for some time without
issue, I'm now re-trying to use the DATABASE component.  Although I now
have Sierra on my Macbook, this function has never worked on other OS
versions either.

After saving my new database file on the desk top I get this message which
I don't understand at all:

"Open Office requires a JAVA runtime envionment (JRE) to run this task. The
selected JRE is defective.  Please select another version or install a new
JRE and select it under TOOLS - OPTIONS - OPEN OFFICE - JAVA."

There are no OPTIONS under TOOLS on the top menu of OO.

I have installed the latest JAVA (update 101).

I'd be grateful to anyone who can help me get the database function working
or, perhaps, direct me to another free or cheap database software for Mac
(Sierra).

Stephen Christopher

Re: Using DATABASE in OO

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Catalan Bird Tours wrote:
> Hi all
>

> After using the word processing component of OO for some time without
> issue, I'm now re-trying to use the DATABASE component.  Although I now
> have Sierra on my Macbook, this function has never worked on other OS
> versions either.
>
> After saving my new database file on the desk top I get this message which
> I don't understand at all:
>
> "Open Office requires a JAVA runtime envionment (JRE) to run this task. The
> selected JRE is defective.  Please select another version or install a new
> JRE and select it under TOOLS - OPTIONS - OPEN OFFICE - JAVA."
>
> There are no OPTIONS under TOOLS on the top menu of OO.
>
> I have installed the latest JAVA (update 101).
>
> I'd be grateful to anyone who can help me get the database function working
> or, perhaps, direct me to another free or cheap database software for Mac
> (Sierra).
>
> Stephen Christopher

Stephen;

This is an Known Issue with Oracle Java on OS X systems without the
legacy Apple Java 6 installed. The work around until the Oracle Java bug
is fixed is to install the legacy Apple Java from the following
link:https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572.

It is also documented in the Release Notes for Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3
at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3+Release+Notes#AOO4.1.3ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues
and for version 4.1.2 at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2+Release+Notes#AOO4.1.2ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues