Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/08 00:27:54 UTC

Google Summer Of Code (I am thinking of mentoring)

ASF is in the GSC this year again.  They are now looking for
committer-access mentors. The announcement went through the Apache
Community list.

I would like to mentor a student with focus on onboarding activities,
maybe generating some better examples, looking at downstream Apache
projects using Solr and helping them to move to Solr 6, things like
that.

Is that a good/bad idea? I know it is a burden time-wise, but I'll
give it a try. Stack Overflow may suffer a bit during that period, but
çe la vie :-)

Any feedback would be welcome, this would be my first time as GSOC mentor.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
http://www.solr-start.com/ - Resources for Solr users, new and experienced

Re: Google Summer Of Code (I am thinking of mentoring)

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
On 14 March 2017 at 17:20, Varun Thacker <va...@vthacker.in> wrote:
> Hi Alexandre ,
>
> I think its a great idea to have someone look into the usability part as a
> GSOC project.
>
> However I feel we should define this task somewhat before people start
> applying. The student should not get caught up in a Jira which is attracting
> lots of discussions from the devs . This could be quite overwhelming to
> someone new to the project.
Would be very happy to do so, and it was part of the reason to start
this email thread.
What do you propose to do it well?

>> looking at downstream Apache projects using Solr and helping them to move
>> to Solr 6, things like that.
>
> I'm not sure how that would classify as a GSOC project under the Apache
> Lucene Project?
Well, it is ASF as a whole that is a mentor organization and the
gsoc2017 label cuts across all the projects at once. So, a project
that applies Solr expertise to other ASF projects is to me still
within ASF-mentor space. And we may be able to draw some assistance
from the other projects to it once it gets going.

> Here are a few ideas which come to my head that a student could take on as a
> project
>
> Improving the admin dashboard UI
There is a couple of open JIRAs, yes. We could mark those with GSOC
label. Completely new features might be nice too, but - as you said -
we need to discuss this beforehand somehow. Part of the challenge is
for mentor to know where the student should go.

> Polishing all our APIs - We have Schema APIs / Config APIs and V2 APIs for
> stuff like creating collections etc. - Can one take a basic configset and
> recreate all the remaining configsets that we have in Solr using these APIs
> ( example-DIH/* , films , techproducts ) . We would find gaps here which one
> could work on
That sounds really good.

Regards,
   Alex.

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@vthacker.in>.
Hi Alexandre ,

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
 > Any feedback would be welcome
I think you should start with creating a JIRA with gsoc2017 label so that
it is searchable as a project idea.

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexandre,

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.