Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Eaton <me...@vasco.com> on 2003/11/17 06:08:15 UTC

svn import

Re: svn import

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Mark Eaton wrote:

> I always end up doing a
> svn import proj $SVNROOT/trunk/

However

	svn import proj $SVNROOT/trunk/proj

should work as you expected.

> If I am the only one who thinks this works wrong then I'll just shut up =) but
> it doesn't seem intuitive to me.

I have been bitten by this as well, but then I realized/remembered that import
(unlike other commands that affect the repository) will create as many
intervening directories in the target.

Most Unix tools (like cp and mv), when passed a directory as both the source and
destination, will create the source directory in the target for you (assuming
that was what you meant).  However, 'svn import' acts more like this:

	svn import proj/* $SVNROOT/trunk/

which is [mildly] suprising the first couple of times.  You'll get over it. ;~)

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group