Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Johansen, Roar" <ro...@finntech.no> on 2004/02/27 14:05:36 UTC

JSP forwarding outside of Context

I supervise development of a web-app, currently deployed on Jrun, but I
also want to deploy it on other appservers, among those tomcat.

I want to distribute the app as a .war file (which we do), but with JSPs
outside the .war file. This because we want to be able to do fixes, and
not least to add JSPs (according to that being made possible by the
servlet we direct all requsts to, but that's a long story), without
having to redeploy the entire .war file.

Thing is, since we reside on the context root "/", anything below the
context root is in the .war file.

JRun4 supports the concept of "virtual mapping", by which means
resources within the context may be mapped to a different physical
location, e.g.

  <virtual-mapping>
    <resource-path>/pages</resource-path>
    <system-path>/wherever/on/the/harddisk/pages</system-path>
  </virtual-mapping>

This maps the context relative path of /pages to the physical location
in <system-path>. This allows for "relocation" of resources to outside
of a .war file distribution.

If I have managed to make myself clear here, is there any way I could do
something similar in tomcat?

TIA,
Roar

RE: JSP forwarding outside of Context

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@silvacom.com>.
Will JNDI help you in any way?

I don't have a solution for ya:), but thought this would be a very good
counter-arguement against the idea that .war is the best deployment practise in
Tomcat.

-Yan