Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2007/04/24 12:21:22 UTC

Re: Linux libstdc++.so.5 dependency

On 24 April 2007 at 8:58, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Egor Pasko wrote:
> > To summarize the thread. We have several ideas on how to treat
> > libstdc++ diversity on various linux systems:
> >
> > 1. create both snapshots (libstdc++ 5 and 6 separately) plus a good
> >    instruction for not-very-geeky users (like me:) on how to check what
> >    version of libstdc++ you have on your system
>
> We just declare which distro the snapshot is designed to work on.  I
> don't think we would expect users to seek out the libstdc++ version.

+1.

I'm just testing a change (and some new icu libs for x86 only) to add an
option to build with libstdc++6 - that is, "-Duse.libstdc++6=true".

What should the default be?  Currently all the linux platform libs that
are checked in depend on libstdc++.so.5 but I'd be surprised if this
was still the most common version?  (Of course, the fact that all the
platforms have been "independently" compiled and ended up like using
libstdc++.so.5 would imply that I'm wrong.)

> > 2. download libstdc++ and recompile it in our build, link in a way
> >    whatever is convenient (does it need to tweak gcc afterwards?)
>
> Please, no.

Agreed.  This would make the install considerably more error prone and
time consuming. ;-)

> > not many ideas. I would appreciate comments and final decisions on this.
>
> I think we declare the snapshot's intended target, then it becomes a
> community issue of whether we have people who are willing to provide a
> snapshot configuration on a given disro.

-Mark.