Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2007/02/23 22:39:25 UTC

[VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

The Apache UIMA community has voted to release version
2.1.0-incubating.  We would now like to ask the Incubator PMC to
approve this release.

Release artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/

The release was signed by Thilo Goetz, our release manager.  His
public key is available here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-distr/src/main/readme/KEYS

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RELEASE_NOTES.html

The release has been tagged in SVN:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.1.0-RC3/

Here is a link to our vote thread on the uima-dev list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg02306.html

We've run the RAT utility and have posted the reports, along with our
own comments, here:
http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-src.txt
http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-bin.txt

The original unedited RAT reports are also posted:
http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-src-full.txt
http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-bin-full.txt

We have done thorough testing of this release, which is documented here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/testplan21.html

We ask that you please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release as Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating
[ ] -1 Recommend against releasing at this time (identify issues you
consider showstoppers)

Thanks!
- The Apache UIMA team

Re: [VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Dear Incubator community,

Thanks to Dan Kulp, we have a +1 vote to release so far.

We need of course 3 binding +1 votes to release; could some other folks
please
take a look at this?

Thanks for your time and efforts in doing this - we really appreciate it!

-Marshall Schor

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Adam,

On Monday 05 March 2007 13:27, Adam Lally wrote:
> Is it sufficient for 3 and 4 to add this information only to our
> top-level "uimaj" pom, which is the parent of our other poms?  And is
> this correct information to add:
> 	<licenses>
> 		<license>
> 			<name>The Apache Software License, Version 2.0</name>
> 			<url>http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt</url>
> 			<distribution>repo</distribution>
> 		</license>
> 	</licenses>
> 	<organization>
> 		<name>The Apache Software Foundation</name>
> 		<url>http://www.apache.org/</url>
> 	</organization>

That would be fine.    The alternative would be to set the "parent" of your
parent to be:

  <parent>
    <groupId>org.apache</groupId>
    <artifactId>apache</artifactId>
    <version>4</version>
  </parent>

(version 4 was just released, may not have hit all the mirrors yet)

Your parent pom would then inherit the licenses and organization sections
from there.

Dan

> I'm assuming <distribution>repo</distribution> doesn't actually
> obligate us to put anything in the ASF incubating repository
> unless/until we decide we want to.  That decision hasn't been made
> yet, but writing the pom this way would leave our options open.
>
> Thanks,
>   -Adam

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 2/25/07, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> <snip/>
>A quick look reveals:
>
> 1) The jars don't have the incubator disclaimer in them.  (this is the
> critical one)
> 2) The <name> for jVinci doesn't have "Apache UIMA" in it.
> 3) The poms don't have a licenses section
> 4) The <organization> tag doesn't have a url to apache.org

Dan,

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 2/27/07, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
>  From your post on general@i.a.o, it sounds like there are 2 classes of
> changes: adding incubating disclaimer to the Jars, and the others.  The
> one about adding incubating disclaimer to the Jars is targeted for the
> next release, I think (right?) but it sounds like the others you think
> should get into this release (right?)?
>
> I guess that's OK but that implies we have to restart the vote, etc.
> (both on uima-dev and general@i.a.o?).  My slight preference would be to
> not do this for this release, just to see if we can flush out other
> "issues" before going through all of this again.  And if no issues come
> out - I don't think there's much downside to waiting till the next
> release to do these changes (please correct if wrong).

I agree with Marshall.  If it's not a requirement to update our poms
if we're not releasing Maven artifacts, let's not do it quite yet.

-Adam

Re: [VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
No, I didn't mean we would change anything for this release.  I'm sorry
if that wasn't clear.  Dan's comments only apply (I hope) if we want to
do a maven release, which we don't.  I'd like to change these things for
the next release.

I had classed the disclaimer for the jars separately because that was
actually a conscious decision that I had thought about.  The POM stuff
was completely new to me.

--Thilo

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

 From your post on general@i.a.o, it sounds like there are 2 classes of

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Fwd: [VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

On Friday 23 February 2007 16:39, Adam Lally wrote:
> The Apache UIMA community has voted to release version
> 2.1.0-incubating.  We would now like to ask the Incubator PMC to
> approve this release.
>
> Release artifacts:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/

A quick look through this looks OK to me for the src and bin distributions.

HOWEVER, I notice you are using Maven for builds.   Is UIMA planning on
releasing the 2.1.0-incubating artifacts to the maven repository so other
maven based projects can use it?    If so, then we have problems.   You
would need to get those artifacts into the staging area as well so we can
look at and vote on them.   A quick look reveals:

1) The jars don't have the incubator disclaimer in them.  (this is the
critical one)
2) The <name> for jVinci doesn't have "Apache UIMA" in it.
3) The poms don't have a licenses section
4) The <organization> tag doesn't have a url to apache.org

So, I'm +1 (non-binding) on these exact distributions, but -1 if there are
maven artifacts that are supposed to be deployed along with it.

Dan

> The release was signed by Thilo Goetz, our release manager.  His
> public key is available here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-distr/s
>rc/main/readme/KEYS
>
> Release notes:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RELEASE_NOTES.htm
>
> The release has been tagged in SVN:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.1.0-RC
>3/
>
> Here is a link to our vote thread on the uima-dev list:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg02306.html
>
> We've run the RAT utility and have posted the reports, along with our
> own comments, here:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-src.txt
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-bin.txt
>
> The original unedited RAT reports are also posted:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-src-full.
>txt
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-bin-full.
>txt
>
> We have done thorough testing of this release, which is documented here:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/testplan21.html
>

> We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release as Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating
> [ ] -1 Recommend against releasing at this time (identify issues you
> consider showstoppers)
>
> Thanks!
> - The Apache UIMA team

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Just to be clear, we plan to fix the issues Dan raised in the next
release, which is not yet scheduled, but will be sometime in the
future.  We ask that the Incubator PMC members review this, the current
release candidate, and look forward to your feedback and votes.

-Marshall Schor

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Friday 23 February 2007 16:39, Adam Lally wrote:
>> The Apache UIMA community has voted to release version
>> 2.1.0-incubating.  We would now like to ask the Incubator PMC to
>> approve this release.
>>
>> Release artifacts:
>> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/
>
> A quick look through this looks OK to me for the src and bin distributions.

Great!

> HOWEVER, I notice you are using Maven for builds.   Is UIMA planning on
> releasing the 2.1.0-incubating artifacts to the maven repository so other
> maven based projects can use it?    If so, then we have problems.   You
> would need to get those artifacts into the staging area as well so we can
> look at and vote on them.   A quick look reveals:

We currently have no plans to release anything to the maven repository.
  Hopefully in the future sometime, but not for this release.

> 1) The jars don't have the incubator disclaimer in them.  (this is the
> critical one)

I see.  I didn't think this was required, but I understand it makes
sense when individual jars are downloadable from the maven repo.  We'll
make sure to have the disclaimer in there before we release anything to
the maven repository.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 2/25/07, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:
> A quick look through this looks OK to me for the src and bin distributions.
>

> HOWEVER, I notice you are using Maven for builds.   Is UIMA planning on
> releasing the 2.1.0-incubating artifacts to the maven repository so other
> maven based projects can use it?    If so, then we have problems.   You
> would need to get those artifacts into the staging area as well so we can
> look at and vote on them.   A quick look reveals:
>
> 1) The jars don't have the incubator disclaimer in them.  (this is the
> critical one)
> 2) The <name> for jVinci doesn't have "Apache UIMA" in it.
> 3) The poms don't have a licenses section
> 4) The <organization> tag doesn't have a url to apache.org
>

> So, I'm +1 (non-binding) on these exact distributions, but -1 if there are
> maven artifacts that are supposed to be deployed along with it.

Dan,

Thanks for your feedback.  For this release we decided not to consider
deploying our Maven artifacts to a shared repository, but instead
focus on satisfying all the published requirements for source and
binary releases, and just use Maven as our build tool.

We will try to address the issues you've pointed out for our next
release so that we
will be able to publish our Maven artifacts.  If you could provide a
pointer to some documentation on what exactly the requirements for
Maven artifacts/poms are, that would be great.

-Adam

Re: [VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
On Friday 23 February 2007 16:39, Adam Lally wrote:
> The Apache UIMA community has voted to release version
> 2.1.0-incubating.  We would now like to ask the Incubator PMC to
> approve this release.
>
> Release artifacts:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/

A quick look through this looks OK to me for the src and bin distributions.

HOWEVER, I notice you are using Maven for builds.   Is UIMA planning on
releasing the 2.1.0-incubating artifacts to the maven repository so other
maven based projects can use it?    If so, then we have problems.   You
would need to get those artifacts into the staging area as well so we can
look at and vote on them.   A quick look reveals:

1) The jars don't have the incubator disclaimer in them.  (this is the
critical one)
2) The <name> for jVinci doesn't have "Apache UIMA" in it.
3) The poms don't have a licenses section
4) The <organization> tag doesn't have a url to apache.org

So, I'm +1 (non-binding) on these exact distributions, but -1 if there are
maven artifacts that are supposed to be deployed along with it.

Dan

> The release was signed by Thilo Goetz, our release manager.  His
> public key is available here:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-distr/s
>rc/main/readme/KEYS
>
> Release notes:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RELEASE_NOTES.htm
>
> The release has been tagged in SVN:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.1.0-RC
>3/
>
> Here is a link to our vote thread on the uima-dev list:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/uima-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg02306.html
>
> We've run the RAT utility and have posted the reports, along with our
> own comments, here:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-src.txt
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-bin.txt
>
> The original unedited RAT reports are also posted:
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-src-full.
>txt
> http://people.apache.org/~alally/uima-2.1.0-incubating/RAT/RAT-bin-full.
>txt
>
> We have done thorough testing of this release, which is documented here:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/testplan21.html
>

> We ask that you please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release as Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating
> [ ] -1 Recommend against releasing at this time (identify issues you
> consider showstoppers)
>
> Thanks!
> - The Apache UIMA team

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Approve the Release of Apache UIMA 2.1.0-incubating

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
Yeah sorry. Perhaps I should have explained my thoughts. But yes, will we
put license headers in generated files such as javadoc and maven site?

IMO if there is some easy plugin for maven or assembly that can do it, then
perhaps we should. But I don't want to spend a lot of time on it. Let me see
if I can find something that *integrates" with maven so it wont be any extra
steps for the release manager. :)

Frank

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thanks for your careful review, Jean, much appreciated.

We'll fix these issues and retry :-)

My understanding is that the Status page needs to be updated by an ASF
member - we're working
with our Mentors to get this done.

If anyone else has comments / issues, please let us know so we can fix
more of them per "cycle" :-)

-Marshall

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.