Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> on 2006/06/21 22:25:52 UTC

New committers

Hey folks,

the community around the ADF Faces donation (aka Trinidad) is growing.
We like to vote on a new committer. Now here is my question.

Where should this happen?
On the MyFaces PMC list, since MyFaces is the Trinidad / ADF Faces sponsor?
On the public dev list for the ADF / Trinidad project?

In MyFaces, when we vote on a new committer, we do this on the PMC
list. I think other projects have the same process.

Thanks,
Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
Aechterhoek 18

Re: New committers

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> >Yah, I guess so.  But, then follow the rest of the stuff on the new
> >committers page that Jean sent out.    -- justin
>
> thanks justin.
>
> <snip>
> After vetting the new candidate, the vote can take place either on the
> PPMC list (with notice posted to the Incubator PMC list) or on the
> developer list (with a notice posted to the Incubator's general list).
> The latter practice of a private discussion followed by a public,
> pro-forma, vote is re-emerging as a Best Practice for ASF projects.
> </snip>
>
> I think I'd like to vote on the adffaces-dev list, after I had a
> discussion on the myfaces pmc list. Thanks for clearing.

There is a an additional note following the paragraph that
Matthias quoted. It links to an email discussion regarding
where issues about people should be discussed. This arose in
relation to the commit that added the above paragraph, but
no-one managed to follow up to revise this "best practice".
So i added the link to the discussion as a place-holder.

-David

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Leo et al.

thanks for you valid input.
The PPMC list has been created. (Before this thread started).
Brett told us that, after I created a jira ticket for that.

Now we use the PPMC for *private* discussions.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: New committers

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Mike-

On 6/22/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think the future destination of adffaces is so clear that
> myfaces-pmc should be making the decisions.   My preference is that
> adffaces-ppmc be created and those doing the adffaces work be those
> making the podling decisions.   Worse case, it'll be easier to merge
> the two if we (myfaces) do absorb it as a subproject since those
> involved will all be trained at that point.
>
> What I see happening at this point is that those myfaces-pmc members
> who are involved with ADFFaces would be making all of the decisions,
> leaving out the other adffaces project members, while at the same time
> the rest of the myfaces pmc members don't reasonably have enough
> information to comment on the votes.

yes, as mentioned before, I think we should take the time for creating
the PPMC list.
I already asked howto maintain this.

> On 6/22/06, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Leo-
> > I think we should take the time for creating a PPMC list.
> > Should I bring it up to the INCUBATOR jira? Or the IPMC? Or Craig?
> >   who is our mentor.

-Matthias

Re: New committers

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Leo-

Re: New committers

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:04:27PM -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:

> >> thanks justin.
> >
> >sorry justin, for bothering you again...
> >
> >Or should we create a "adffaces-ppmc" list for the adf faces incubation?

What do you *want* to do? What makes most sense?

> We didn't have one for the WebWork incubation, which I think is similar to
> the situation you are in with ADFFaces. We also didn't get clear direction
> on what we were supposed to do

don't you love it when delegation actually works :)

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 6/21/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In previous discussions, the eventual status (subproject/project) of
> the podling was not to be considered in decisions until after the
> project graduated.    It seems like this would continue to be a good

well, the prefered status was/is being a MyFaces subproject

> top-level project instead.   Struts/WW was a little different
> situation since the immediate goal was to merge the two while
> ADFFaces/MyFaces are two different JSF-related things.   Parts of
> ADFFaces will likely (at this point) be merged into MyFaces Tomahawk,
> but nothing in ADFFaces is likely to make it into the MyFaces core.

True, since MyFaces Core is "only" the API and its Impl. There are
some common useful services/API in ADF Faces, like
ExternalRenderKitService. Those things are not bound to a specific
RenderKit. The base stuff can also be used in Tobago; but this
discussion should happen on the MyFaces list, since we are to JSF
related right now ;-)

But, I am not happy with the status of MyFaces itself. I'd like to see
a generic "JavaServer Faces" TLP like WebServices or Portals. This
project - Apache Faces - should have serveral subprojects, like:

-MyFaces (what is yet known as MyFaces Core (API and its impl)
-Tomahawk (custom components)
-Tobago (layout-oriented JSF stuff)
-Sandbox (our sandbox)
-Shared ("common" services/api usefull for all of them)

Could be interesting for Struts Shale too.

Re: New committers

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 6/22/06, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:04:27PM -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
> > We didn't have one for the WebWork incubation, which I think is similar to
> > the situation you are in with ADFFaces. We also didn't get clear direction
> > on what we were supposed to do, so we just used the Struts PMC + initial
> > committers as an informal PPMC to vote on bringing in new committers.
>
> I'm happy calling that a reasonable precedent and incorporating it in the docs
> being written this weekend.  ;-)  -- justin

In previous discussions, the eventual status (subproject/project) of
the podling was not to be considered in decisions until after the
project graduated.    It seems like this would continue to be a good
policy since the folks most involved with the podling are the podling
committers, and they're the ones who should be getting the pmc
"internship".   Whether that set of podling individuals eventually
gets merged into another project or the poding goes top-level should
be irrelevent.   If the destination pmc members want to be involved in
the podling ppmc, then they should be explicitly involving themselves
in its development.   Some of the MyFaces members are doing this.
Some of us (myself included) aren't.   I don't see why those of us who
aren't explicitly involving ourselves should be making decisions for
the podling.   On top of that, down the road, it may turn out to be a

Re: New committers

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 6/21/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> For Derby we had a PPMC which was useful for personnel discussions. On
> graduation responsbility was transferred to the DB PMC.

To me a ppmc for *each* incubator project sounds reasonable.

> On Tuscany we don't have a PPMC or other private forum - we've added
> committers so far based on adhoc discussions. I think that is
> problematic as it provides no visibility to either the Incubator or
> WebServices PMCs on how those decisions are being made.

-1 on that :)

> I think it would be a good idea for every podling to have such a forum
> so that the committers involved can become familiar with Apache's way
> and so that the IPMC can perform its oversight role. This also provides
> new committers with exposure to PMC responsibilities which is valuable
> if the podling graduates into an existing project and essential if it
> exits as a TLP.

yes.

Re: New committers

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

> I think the initial decision was that a PPMC was not necessary as the code was
> just going to be imported into the MyFaces project.  Therefore, the MyFaces PMC
> is responsible for executing the duties that a PPMC would normally do.

Yeah, right the goal was being a MyFaces subproject. Since ADF Faces
is not a small piece of software a TLP status might be reasonable.
That up to the incubator PMC; but -again- prefered choice was being a
subproject.

See [1] for more

<snip>
(1) scope of the subprojects

Although ADF Faces could work well as a TLP, our preference would be
to enter ASF as a MyFaces subproject, but we leave it to the Incubator
PMC and ASF Board to make the final decision.
</snip>

-Matthias

[1] Proposal for ADF Faces, a MyFaces subproject -
http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/adfproposal

Re: New committers

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
No ppmc list has been created for the adffaces donation

see here the list of our mailing lists:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-16

Re: New committers

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> doh. :-) sorry. reading emails too quickly ...

:)

so, what todo? Bringing it up the MyFaces PMC ?
three of the ADF Faces committers are PMC members.
Or should we vote on the dev list? (I don't like this usecase)

> -jean

-Matthias

Re: New committers

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.