Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> on 2007/04/27 18:28:15 UTC

[ANN][Axis2]Axis2 1.2 Released

Just over 4 months since the original 1.1.1 release, we are very proud
to announce the release of Apache Axis2 version 1.2

Downloads are available at:
    http://ws.apache.org/axis2/download.cgi

Apache Axis2 is a complete re-design and re-write of the widely used
Apache Axis engine and is a more efficient, more scalable, more modular
and more XML-oriented Web services framework. It is carefully designed to
support the easy addition of plug-in "modules" that extend its
functionality for features such as security and reliability.

Modules supporting WS-Security/Secure-Conversation (Apache Rampart),
WS-Trust (Apache Rahas), WS-Reliable Messaging (Apache Sandesha) and
WS-Eventing (Apache Savan) will be available after the Apache Axis2
1.2 release. Please see these projects' own sites for further information.

Major Changes Since 1.1:
- - WSDL 2.0 fully support (reading, writing, and codegen)
- - POJO annotation (JSR 181)
- - JAX-WS integration
- - JAX-WS -annotation
- - Un-wrapping (Response)
- - ADB - support for union and list
- - Maven2 support
- - JSON support
- - Binary serialization (Fast infoste)
- - Codegen support for WSDL with Multiple services
- - HTTP code generation (both WSDL 1.1 and 2.0)
- - Custom deployer support
- - Message formatters
- - Message Builders
- - EJB Provider support

Known Issues and Limitations in 1.2 Release:

- - Xml-beans databinding does not support response uwwrapping
- - ADB databinding does not support minOccurs and maxOccures attributes
in sequence and choice elements

Apache Axis2 1.2 is a major new release compared to Axis2 1.1. We are
striving for a simple and happy first time user experience as well as a
satisfying experienced user experience with this release. We welcome any
and all feedback at:
    axis-user@ws.apache.org (please include "[axis2]" in the subject)
    axis-dev@ws.apache.org (please include "[axis2]" in the subject)
    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2

Thank you for your interest in Apache Axis2!

The Axis2 Development Team
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/

-

Features of Apache Axis2:

Programming Model
   - Improved XML-centric client API with full WSDL and policy support
   - Support for POJO and Spring services and clients
   - Support for any message exchange pattern (MEP)
   - Synchronous and asynchronous programming model
   - Archived service deployment model supporting full service
     encapsulation with versioning support
   - Archived module deployment model supporting controlled
     extensibility with versioning support
   - Hot deployment
   - WS-Policy driven code generation extensions
   - Flexible service life cycle model
   - Automatic support for POX (REST) style invocation of services
   - Support for querying service's WSDL (with ?wsdl), schema (with
     ?xsd) and policies (with ?policy)
   - WSDL 2.0POJO annotation (JSR 181)
   - JAX-WS intregration
   - Custom Deployers
   - Binary serialization (Fast Infoset)
   - JSON support
   - EJB Provider support

Supported Specifications
   - SOAP 1.1 and 1.2
   - Message Transmission Optimization Mechanism (MTOM)
   - XML Optimized Packaging (XOP)
   - SOAP with Attachments
   - WSDL 1.1, including both SOAP and HTTP bindings
   - WS-Addressing submission and 1.0
   - WS-Policy
   - SAAJ 1.1

Transports
   - HTTP
   - SMTP
   - JMS
   - TCP

Supported Data Bindings
   - Axis Data Binding (ADB)
   - XMLBeans
   - JibX
   - JaxMe (Experimental)
   - JaxBRI (Experimental)

Tools
   - WSDL2Java: Generate Java stubs and skeletons from a WSDL document.
   - Java2WSDL: Generate a WSDL document from a Java class.
   - Eclipse Plugins
   - IntelliJ Idea Plugins
   - Maven2 Plugins
   - Web application for administering Apache Axis2

Re: [ANN][Axis2]Axis2 1.2 Released

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
Issues like http://issues.apache.org/jira//browse/AXIS2-2607 could be easily
detected if there was a simple unit tests. I think before we going into
adding in more features, we need to reinforce our suite of unit tests. It
will be very much worth the investment.

Azeez

On 5/1/07, David Illsley <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeremy,
> From watching a number of WS-Commons and Axis2 releases, it appears
> that neither project votes on release binaries in line with the way
> the Incubator does things, we seem to simply vote on the principle of
> having a release soon with a given feature-set. I don't believe that
> in and of itself that's a problem...
>
> However, we've now had a couple of Axiom and Axis2 releases in the
> recent past where the need for an x.y.z + 0.0.1 release has become
> apparent within days of a release (the most recent at [1]). The impact
> of lack of community testing on real Release Candidates is, imo
> showing up in clear fashion.
>
> Given that, I'm thinking of proposing that we adopt the incubator
> method of publishing a real Release Candidate build + associated SVN
> revision number that we vote on, rather than voting on "having a
> release soon".
>
> N.B. This isn't meant as criticism of anyone, but an observation that
> the current method seems to be producing less that ideal results.
>
> Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?
> David
>
> [1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2607
>
> On 30/04/07, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> > Hi Dims,
> >
> > I will do it soon , I can create a tag with my local changes.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Deepal
> >
> > Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >
> > > Deepal,
> > >
> > > Looks like one of the release steps got missed :(
> > >
> > > -- dims

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Deepal
> > "The highest tower is built one brick at a time"

> David Illsley - IBM Web Services Development

Thanks
Afkham Azeez

http://www.wso2.org

Re: [ANN][Axis2]Axis2 1.2 Released

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
David,

I agree with your assessment.

-- dims

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
David,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
First order of business...Please change the Subject line :)

-- dims

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

On 30/04/07, David Illsley <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremy,
> From watching a number of WS-Commons and Axis2 releases, it appears
> that neither project votes on release binaries in line with the way
> the Incubator does things, we seem to simply vote on the principle of
> having a release soon with a given feature-set. I don't believe that
> in and of itself that's a problem...

I guess I've got a bit more used to the Incubator-way lately :-)
Certainly WS & Incubator are two different communities so if there are
things from Incubator or elsewhere that the WS community feel make
sense in WS then lets propose / vote on them. I think voting on the
binaries is one which is used by other Apache projects as well as orgs
outside Apache.

> However, we've now had a couple of Axiom and Axis2 releases in the
> recent past where the need for an x.y.z + 0.0.1 release has become
> apparent within days of a release (the most recent at [1]). The impact
> of lack of community testing on real Release Candidates is, imo
> showing up in clear fashion.
>
> Given that, I'm thinking of proposing that we adopt the incubator
> method of publishing a real Release Candidate build + associated SVN
> revision number that we vote on, rather than voting on "having a
> release soon".

I'd like to help here.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Axis2/C team used to vote on the feature list but form 0.96 release
onwards, we vote on the release artifacts before the release.
Gives room for the commiters who are voting for the release to test the
actual release and then vote.

Samisa...

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Dims,

Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Deepal,
>
> Looks like one of the release steps got missed :(
>
> -- dims
>
> On 4/30/07, Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com> wrote:
>

>> Has a SVN tag been created for Axis2 1.2 ?   I do not see one in the
>> usual
>> place:
>>
>> boisvert@boog:~/svn/axis2$ svn ls
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/tags/java
>> rampart_1_1/
>> v0.94/
>> v0.95/
>> v1.0/
>> v1.1/
>> v1.1.1/
>>
>> thanks,
>> alex

Deepal

Re: [ANN][Axis2]Axis2 1.2 Released

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Deepal,

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
[Sorry should have replied to axis-dev ..]

Hi, this is great - congrats! But I didn't see a [VOTE] thread against
a release candidate in the last week. Did one happen and I missed it?

Cheers,
Jeremy