Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2008/03/22 17:21:37 UTC

SoC: Almost-require discussion on dev@ as a prerequisite to application acceptance

I'd like to suggest adding the following text, or something like it, to
our SoC page, possibly in bold/large font:

Please discuss your ideas on the Subversion dev mailing list before
and/or after submitting your SoC application. It is highly unlikely that
we will accept any application if it is not accompanied by the applicant
  making contact with the mailing list. We ask this because even an
otherwise perfect application may be unacceptable if it is for a task
which is too small or too large in scope, or if we cannot find a mentor
for the task.

Max.

Re: SoC: Almost-require discussion on dev@ as a prerequisite to application acceptance

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
> I'd like to suggest adding the following text, or something like it,
> to our SoC page, possibly in bold/large font:
>

> Please discuss your ideas on the Subversion dev mailing list before
> and/or after submitting your SoC application. It is highly unlikely
> that we will accept any application if it is not accompanied by the
> applicant making contact with the mailing list. We ask this because
> even an otherwise perfect application may be unacceptable if it is for
> a task which is too small or too large in scope, or if we cannot find
> a mentor for the task.

Go for it.  I'd change the last sentence, though:

  "We ask this because even an otherwise perfect application may be
   unacceptable if we cannot find a mentor for the task."

(If the task is too small or too large in scope, that has nothing to do
with whether it was discussed on dev@ -- we'd spot that problem in a
private application too.)

-K