Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/30 06:52:22 UTC

[VOTE] BatchEE as an incubated project

Since discussion about the BatchEE seems done, I'd like to call a vote for
BatchEE to
become an incubated project.

The proposal is pasted below, and also available at:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BatchEEProposal

Let's keep this vote open for three business days, closing the voting on
Thursday 10/03.

[ ] +1 Accept BatchEE into the Incubator
[ ] +0 Don't care.
[ ] -1 Don't accept BatchEE because...

= BatchEE, JBatch Implementation =

=== Abstract ===

BatchEE will be an ASL-licensed implementation of the JBatch Specification
which is defined as JSR-352 (for version 1.0).

=== Proposal ===

BatchEE specification is an effort for defining a standard API and way to
write batches in Java. It is integrated with JavaEE (JTA, CDI....) but
works out of the box in a standalone environment.

BatchEE Project is responsible for implementing the runtime container
contract for the JBatch specification. Besides the implementation, BatchEE
Project will implement the core built-in components that further simplifies
the developer complex interactions with other Java EE specific enterprise
operations. For example, it will define default reader/processor/writer for
jdbc, jpa, xml/json/flat files...

=== Background ===

Until today writing batches in java meant using a proprietary framework and
link to JavaEE was quite limited (or missing). JBatch defines an API fixing
this issue and now developpers need a fix.

=== Rationale ===

Current JBatch specificatin is released, and only the reference
implementation is available but not really intended to be maintained.
Moreover multiple Apache projects (geronimo, TomEE, ...) will need an
Apache compatible Jbatch implementation to go ahread and implement JavaEE 7.

=== Initial Goals ===

The initial goals of the BatchEE Project are

 * Fully implement the JSR-352 specification.
 * Attracts a community around the current code base.
 * Active relationship with the other dependent projects to further develop
some useful batch components.

== Current Status ==

=== Meritocracy ===

Initial developer of the project is familiar with the meritocracy
principles of Apache. He knows that the open source gets power from its
great developers and freedom. He also developed some other open source
projects. We will follow the normal meritocracy rules also with other
potential contributors.

=== Community ===

There is a great community within the OpenEJB, OpenWebBeans, Geronimo and
TomEE Apache projects. BatchEE project is very related with these projects
and in the some cases, it enhances these projects. We are thinking that
BatchEE project gets strong community because it complete the needed
frameworks of a java developper and unifies the using of these projects. It
simplifies the developer effort for building complex enterprise
applications batches.

=== Core Developers ===

BatchEE project has been developing by the IBM then forked by Romain
Manni-Bucau as a sole contributor.

=== Alignment ===

BacthEE project will be a candidate for use in Geronimo AS and TomEE as a
default JBatch implementation. Other projects could benefit from the
BatchEE project as a general purpose component and context management.

BatchEE project is closely aligned with the OpenEJB and OpenWebBeans
projects perfectly. It depends on these projects to satisfy its
requirements (mainly tests).

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned products ===

Even if the initial committer of the project has no plan to leave the
active development, it must necessary to get other committers for the
project. So that it less dependent on the single developer. The source code
of the project is well documented and new committers could easily grasp the
details. Initial committer continues to support actively this project.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

Initial developer have worked on open source project before, including
OpenEJB/TomEE, OpenWebBeans, XBean...

=== Homogeneous Developers ===

Altough the initial committer of the project is single, developer team may
be increased within the active project lifecycle from the different
locations.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===

Project currently has no salaried developers. All the commitment is done by
the volunteer developer.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

BatchEE will likely be used in the Geronimo and Apache TomEE. OpenWebBeans
could bring added value for tests and integration with CDI. OpenEJB will be
great to pass EE tests (JTA is mandatory and CDi a must have).

=== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

BatchEE project initial committer is the strong supporter of the open
source projects. Initial committer of the project thinks that ASF has great
place that provides wider colloboration and support of the open source
project and it respects meritrocracy. Also, BatchEE project will surely be
embraced by the Geronimo, TomEE, Camel and other Apache projects. BatchEE
project is closely related with the some of the other Apache projects.

== Documentation ==

Currently the main documentation of the project is contained in the
README.md in the source repository (see next part).

== Initial Source ==

The source for BatchEE project that is to be imported is currently within
the project at https://github.com/rmannibucau/batchee.git and is all ASL2.0
licensed. It is based on a fork of the JBatch RI (developped by IBM) which
said it was ok to fork the RI:
http://apache-incubator-general.996316.n3.nabble.com/Re-DISCUSS-jbatch-impl-Apache-td36529.html

== External Dependencies ==

All dependencies have Apache compatible licenses.

== Required Resources ==

Mailing lists

 * batchee-dev@incubator.apache.org
 * batchee-commits@incubator.apache.org
 * batchee-private@incubator.apache.org
 * batchee-user@incubator.apache.org

Git repository

 * https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/batchee.git

Issue Tracking

 * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BATCHEE

Other Resources

 * Wiki

== Initial Committers ==

|| '''Name'''           || '''Email'''
 || '''CLA'''        ||
|| Romain Manni-Bucau   || rmannibucau at gmail dot com
|| yes              ||
|| Gerhard Petracek     || gpetracek at apache dot org
 || yes              ||
|| Jean-Louis Monteiro  || jlmonteiro at apache dot org
|| yes              ||
|| Stephen Connolly     || stephen dot alan dot connolly at gmail dot com
|| yes              ||
|| David Blevins        || dblevins at apache dot org
|| yes              ||

== Sponsors ==

We kindly request the Apache Incubator PMC to be the sponsor for this
project.

Champion

 * Mark Struberg (struberg at yahoo dot de)

Nominated Mentors

 * Jean-Baptiste Onofré (jb at nanthrax dot net)
 * Olivier Lamy (olamy at apache dot org)
 * Mark Struberg (struberg at yahoo dot de)

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

Re: [VOTE] BatchEE as an incubated project

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

Jean-Louis

--
Jean-Louis

Re: [VOTE] BatchEE as an incubated project

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
JB

On 09/30/2013 11:06 AM, Rahul Sharma wrote:
> +1
>
> regards
> Rahul
>

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
>> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
>> <rm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ...I'd like to call a vote for
>>> BatchEE to become an incubated project...
>>
>> +1
>>
>> -Bertrand

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] BatchEE as an incubated project

Posted by Rahul Sharma <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
And here is my +1

I'll prepare the result mail.

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: [VOTE] BatchEE as an incubated project

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)