Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Doug Steigerwald <ds...@mcclatchyinteractive.com> on 2007/09/12 15:36:03 UTC

Geographic searching in solr

Not sure if this got through earlier, pine messed up...

Has anyone implemented any sort of geographic searching for Solr?  I've
found Local Lucene
(http://www.nsshutdown.com/projects/lucene/whitepaper/locallucene.htm) by
Patrick O'Leary and there is another project in his CVS called Local Solr
(http://www.nsshutdown.com/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/localsolr/).

I've gotten Local Solr and Local Lucene compiled, but trying to drop the
plugin in the Solr lib folder and trying to define the custom FieldTypes in
my scheme results in errors (see below).

<fieldType name="longitude" class="com.pjaol.search.solr.LngField" />

Has anyone gotten Local  Lucene/Solr to work for geographic searches or
implemented anything like this?

I can't actually find any other plugins for Solr to look at and try to
resolve my issues with Local Solr.  Any help would be appreciated.

I've tried this with Solr 1.2, and compiling Solr from the trunk. Java
1.6.

Thanks.

Doug

---error---
Sep 12, 2007 8:22:50 AM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
SEVERE: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/solr/schema/FieldType
         at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
         at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
         at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:56)