Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jim Correia <ji...@pobox.com> on 2004/12/10 13:30:32 UTC

[BUG] svn ls and filename with space?

I'm running Subversion 1.1.1 on Mac OS X with an FSFS backend.

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
    compiled Nov 17 2004, 14:57:36

svn ls -v is failing for me with a file with a space in it. The steps
to reproduce are below. Is this a known issue? Should I write something
up for the issue tracker?

Thanks,
Jim

$ svnadmin create repos
$ svnadmin create repos
$ ls
repos
$ svn co repos wc
svn: 'repos' does not appear to be a URL
$ svn co file://`pwd`/repos wc
Checked out revision 0.
$ cd wc
$ touch 'Build Instructions.txt'
$ svn add Build\ Instructions.txt
A         Build Instructions.txt
$ svn ci -m "added file with space"
Adding         Build Instructions.txt
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 1.
$ svn up
At revision 1.
$ svn ls -v Build\ Instructions.txt
svn: URL
'file:///Users/correia/Desktop/svnbug/repos/Build%20Instructions.txt'
non-existent in that revision
$ svn ls -v .
       1 correia           0 Dec 08 10:53 Build Instructions.txt

Re: [BUG] svn ls and filename with space?

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Jim Correia <ji...@pobox.com> writes:
> I'm running Subversion 1.1.1 on Mac OS X with an FSFS backend.
>
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
>     compiled Nov 17 2004, 14:57:36
>
> svn ls -v is failing for me with a file with a space in it. The steps
> to reproduce are below. Is this a known issue? Should I write
> something up for the issue tracker?

Thanks for the excellent reproduction recipe!

No need to file an issue, I've fixed this in r12273.

-Karl

Re: [BUG] svn ls and filename with space?

Posted by Jim Correia <ji...@pobox.com>.
On Dec 10, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Christopher Ness wrote:

> Does this fail also if you quote the file name like so?
>        $ svn ls -v "Build Instructions.txt"

Yes. (As it should, since the quoting method used in the shell doesn't
change how the tool gets the argument in argv.)

Jim

Re: [BUG] svn ls and filename with space?

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Fri, 2004-10-12 at 08:30 -0500, Jim Correia wrote:
> $ cd wc
> $ touch 'Build Instructions.txt'
> $ svn add Build\ Instructions.txt
> A         Build Instructions.txt
> $ svn ci -m "added file with space"
> Adding         Build Instructions.txt
> Transmitting file data .
> Committed revision 1.
> $ svn up
> At revision 1.
> $ svn ls -v Build\ Instructions.txt
> svn: URL
> 'file:///Users/correia/Desktop/svnbug/repos/Build%20Instructions.txt'
> non-existent in that revision
> $ svn ls -v .
>        1 correia           0 Dec 08 10:53 Build Instructions.txt

Does this fail also if you quote the file name like so?
       $ svn ls -v "Build Instructions.txt"

Interesting to see that it escaped the file like a web browser would.  I
don't know if you can call a space like that on the file system.  But
that would probably work for http[s]://

Cheers,
Chris