Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Marc Selwan <ma...@datastax.com> on 2018/12/01 16:54:55 UTC

Re: upgrade Apache Cassandra 2.1.9 to 3.0.9

Hi Shravan,

Did you upgrade Apache Cassandra 2.1.9 to the latest patch release before
doing the major upgrade? It's generally favorable to go to the latest patch
release as often times they include fixes that smooth over the upgrade
process. There are hundreds of bug fixes between 2.1.9 and 2.1.20 (current
version)

Best,
Marc

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 3:13 PM Shravan R <sk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am planning to upgrade Apache Cassandra 2.1.9 to Apache Cassandra-3.0.9.
> I came up with the version based on [1]. I followed upgrade steps as in
> [2]. I was testing the same in the lab and encountered issues (streaming
> just fails and hangs for ever) with bootstrapping a 3.0.9 node on a
> partially upgraded cluster. [50% of nodes on 2.1.9 and 50% on 3.0.9]. The
> production cluster that I am supporting is pretty large and I am
> anticipating to end up in a situation like this (Hope not) and would like
> to be prepared.
>
> 1) How do deal with decommissioning a 2.1.9 node in a partially upgraded
> cluster?
> 2) How to bootstrap a 3.x node to a partially upgraded cluster?
> 3) Is there an alternative approach to the upgrade large clusters. i.e
> instead of going through nodetool upgradesstables on each node in rolling
> fashion
>

> As per [1] the general restriction is to avoid decommissioning or adding
> nodes but in reality there can be failures or maintenance that warrants us
> to do so.
>

> Please point me in the right direction.
>

> Thanks,
> Shravan
>

> [1]
> https://docs.datastax.com/en/upgrade/doc/upgrade/datastax_enterprise/upgdDSE50.html#upgdDSE50__cstar-version-change
>
> [2]
> https://myopsblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/04/upgrade-cassandra-cluster-from-2-x-to-3-x/
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__myopsblog.wordpress.com_2017_12_04_upgrade-2Dcassandra-2Dcluster-2Dfrom-2D2-2Dx-2Dto-2D3-2Dx_&d=DwMFaQ&c=adz96Xi0w1RHqtPMowiL2g&r=E6NVfMr2TIhW42QMfARTvsfCLtdF-oEA3KfAQRfVZdk&m=zbxL9Z9UjZMSVoHeue5w2ch4V1n65VR39w0_ysPWhBc&s=Ef6f6CfzIk0DBt3xD3fBmBhsfU8Yc2lv7YnIgiTWLMg&e=>
>
> --
Marc Selwan | DataStax | Product Management | (925) 413-7079

Re: upgrade Apache Cassandra 2.1.9 to 3.0.9

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.
Schema won’t be transferred cross-majors

--
Jeff Jirsa

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: upgrade Apache Cassandra 2.1.9 to 3.0.9

Posted by "Durity, Sean R" <SE...@homedepot.com>.
In my understanding, there is a balance of getting upgradesstables done vs normal activity. I think the cluster can function fine with old and new sstables, but there can be a performance hit to reading the older version (perhaps). Personally, I don’t restart repairs until upgradesstables is completed. So, I push to get upgradesstables completed as soon as possible.

Sean Durity

Posted by Shravan R <sk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shravan R <sk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <jj...@gmail.com>.