Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de> on 2020/02/24 10:03:29 UTC

Re: Help needed about ThreadGroup Configuration

As written in my first reply, the users mailing list is the more
appropriate place to find help with the usage of JMeter. Therefore, I
have chosen to cross-post this reply to both.

Please be careful when replying to include the users mailing list, only.

Am 19.02.20 um 23:03 schrieb karthikeyan muthusamy:
> Hi Felix,
>
> I would  want to simulate 100,000 users that are issuing 1 request in
> parallel. Please guide me.

For that many parallel requests, you will have to setup a client/server
construct as described at
https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/remote-test.html and
https://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/jmeter_distributed_testing_step_by_step.html

Starting from such a setup I would look at more complex setups like
JMeter running on Kubernetes
(https://blog.kubernauts.io/load-testing-as-a-service-with-jmeter-on-kubernetes-fc5288bb0c8b)

The problems with 100,000 parallel connections (that's what a user is)
is manifold. The JVM will need lots of memory for the connection
handling, that will result in a lot of GC work. There might be lock
contention, if everything is run in one JVM. One IP has only about
65,000 ports available to bind clients/servers to it. That means you
will have to use different client IPs (JMeter is able to use those, if
correctly configured). Your disks will have to be fast enough to write
logs of the work done. ...

So I would start somewhere, where I feel comfortable and try to enhance
the setup slowly. If on your way you encounter problems, than ask those
questions on the mailing list.

Do so with enough information, that anyone, who has no access to your
setup, can see, what you are trying to achieve and what is not working
for you.

Felix