Posted to websh-dev@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2003/05/20 12:21:46 UTC

threaded tcl?

Hi guys,

I'm curious if you've tried compiling websh with a threaded Tcl, both
with apache 1.3 and 2.0, and how well it's worked out.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: threaded tcl?

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> > I'm curious if you've tried compiling websh with a threaded Tcl,
> > both with apache 1.3 and 2.0, and how well it's worked out.

> I always use non-threaded Tcl when I build for Apache 1.3 and
> threaded Tcl for Apache 2.0

> So far I never had problems with the threaded version, however tests
> were never made as extensively as with non-threaded versions.

> Did you have any specific problems?

I have encountered some 'oddities' with Rivet + threaded tcl (8.4) +
apache 1.3.  Namely, that it ignores SIGTERM.  Just wanted to compare
notes and see if you were seeing the same thing.  If not, then I guess
I need to do some more hunting:-)

Re: threaded tcl?

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> I'm curious if you've tried compiling websh with a threaded Tcl, both
> with apache 1.3 and 2.0, and how well it's worked out.

I always use non-threaded Tcl when I build for Apache 1.3 and threaded
Tcl for Apache 2.0

So far I never had problems with the threaded version, however tests
were never made as extensively as with non-threaded versions.

Did you have any specific problems?

Regards
Ronnie

Re: threaded tcl?

Posted by Simon Hefti <he...@netcetera.ch>.
Hi David,

I used all possible combinations of httpd and Tcl versions,
but threaded and not, for my talk at Tcl/Tk 2002. Once I
started to really care about my compile process, I did not
have any problems at all. The disappointment was that the
performance difference between mod_websh and cgi, and between
non-threaded and threaded was marginal.

Simon.