Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2007/03/05 20:24:39 UTC

Fixed NOTICE files

I updated our NOTICE files to include the following, which I borrowed
from Derby.  Jean, could you verify that this is correct:

Portions of UIMA were originally developed by
International Business Machines Corporation and are
licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
"Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement",
informally known as the "UIMA CLA".

Thanks,
  -Adam

Re: Fixed NOTICE files

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
> <snip.>
>
>> Don't forget to add any original IBM copyright notice(s) to the NOTICE
>> file.
>
> OK, I wasn't sure what to do here... I didn't see any in the example
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt, so I wasn't quite
> sure in what circumstances they were required or not.  But I can add
> them.

Derby adds the original copyrights to the NOTICE file.

copyright notices used to be included in a COPYRIGHT file, and you'll
see some of these; for example --

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/trunk/COPYRIGHT

One of the source header changes at
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html is to move those copyright
notices into the NOTICE file.

The source header changes take effect for releases starting Nov 1 2006.
In the meantime, you'll likely see the old way for a while yet.

>> Also, the distribution I looked at had many LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>> See Nicko Cadell's review of Apache Lucene.Net [3], which was backed
>> (and corrected regarding one point) by William Rowe [4]. Maybe you can
>> resolve that multiple file issue up front and avoid another go around.
>>

> We are having a very bizarre problem with the Maven resources plugin
> and cannot get it to include the LICENSE and NOTICE files in our jars.
> When we try it breaks our build.  I posted to the maven-users list
> [1] and the only response I got was from Dan Kulp who said that we
> could use the "remote resources plugin", which is still an alpha
> snapshot.   Rather than depend on a snapshot (and rely on the remote
> resource files remaining stable) we thought it would be OK to copy the
> files to the src/main/resources directories of each component.
>
> If that's not viable I'm not sure what the next best thing is.  I
> suppose we could add some ant calls to our poms that run before the
> maven jar plugin and copy the files from their original location into
> all of the src/main/resources directories.

sorry, I'm not maven savvy, can't help you out there.

 -jean

Re: Fixed NOTICE files

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Re: Fixed NOTICE files

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Adam Lally wrote:
> I updated our NOTICE files to include the following, which I borrowed
> from Derby.  Jean, could you verify that this is correct:
>
> Portions of UIMA were originally developed by
> International Business Machines Corporation and are
> licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
> "Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement",
> informally known as the "UIMA CLA".

The initial Derby code contribution was via the CCLA Schedule B [1], but
it looks to me like the UIMA contribution from IBM was via a software
grant [2].

So -- UIMA mentors, please chime in -- I believe this:

"Software Grant and Corporate Contribution License Agreement",
informally known as the "UIMA CLA"

could be changed to this:

"Software Grant License Agreement", informally known as the "IBM UIMA
License Agreement"

Don't forget to add any original IBM copyright notice(s) to the NOTICE file.

Also, the distribution I looked at had many LICENSE and NOTICE files.
See Nicko Cadell's review of Apache Lucene.Net [3], which was backed
(and corrected regarding one point) by William Rowe [4]. Maybe you can
resolve that multiple file issue up front and avoid another go around.

regards,

 -jean

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt