Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by liigo <li...@hotpop.com> on 2005/05/07 13:03:40 UTC

about and , they just do the same(or very similar) thing

please look on <set> and <binding>, they just do the same(or very similar)
thing,
why not use the same keywork <set>?

<bean name="passwordValidator"
class="org.apache.tapestry.valid.StringValidator">
     <set name="minLength" value="6"/>
     <set name="maxLength" value="12"/>
</bean>

<component id="password" type="TextField">
     <binding name="value" value="ognl:user.password"/>
     <binding name="label" value="Password"/>
</component>

if all use <set>, we can write this:

<component id="password" type="TextField">
     <SET name="value" value="ognl:user.password"/>
     <SET name="label" value="Password"/>
</component>

Re: about and , they just do the same(or very similar) thing

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
<binding> creates a binding object (an instance of IBinding) that
knows about the page (*) and can read/update OGNL expression rooted in
the page.  The binding is passed into the component so that it can
gain access to properties of the page.  The <set> element is more
traidtional, a value is obtained and injected in (set and forget).
Parameters and bindings are bi-directional, the component can (via the
binding) change the properties of the page.

(*) I use the term page for clarity, it's really the container of the
component which is often a page, but nearly as often, another
component.

On 5/7/05, Michael Echerer <Mi...@tngtech.com> wrote:
> liigo wrote:
> > please look on <set> and <binding>, they just do the same(or very similar)
> > thing,
> > why not use the same keywork <set>?
> >
> Internally "binding" is much more than just setting a property. A
> static-binding is more comparable to set. Anyhow this can be confusing
> in the beginning (especially the directions).

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: about and , they just do the same(or very similar) thing

Posted by Michael Echerer <Mi...@tngtech.com>.