Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by "Shillaker, Simon" <s....@imperial.ac.uk> on 2017/11/20 17:53:07 UTC

Testing IaaS/ Distributed Deployment

Hi all,

I recently submitted a PR for provisioning AWS resources in a distributed Openwhisk deployment (https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/2915).

The question of testing such scripts was raised as it sounds like the OpenStack versions haven't been kept up to date.

I've not unit-/integration-tested Ansible scripts before and am not really sure how to go about it. Assuming these AWS scripts won't be used in anger very often, does anyone have any ideas for ensuring they don't rot? I guess the alternative to testing is a big "YMMV" note warning any future users that they might be stale. Although better than nothing, this isn't ideal.

Cheers,

Simon

Re: Testing IaaS/ Distributed Deployment

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Simon thanks for the contributions

I proposed we move both distributed types OpenStack and AWS to the repo
openwhisk-devtools [1], this is a "playground" repo for experiments that
are not fully supported or out of date. I agree we can put there and add a
the big disclaimer/warning

We did a similar thing with kubernetes support, it started in the devtools
repo and once stable and integration tests using Travis we moved into it's
own repo.

And of course will put a note in the ansible readme about the two options
located in the devtools repo.

Anyone oppose?

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-devtools

-- Carlos