Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by we...@tigris.org on 2009/04/23 21:15:50 UTC

Merges into sparse working copies and tree conflicts

Hello,
I am having some problems with merges and am not sure if this is a bug or not. Server is 1.6.1, client is 1.6.1:

Repository looks like this:
trunk
  - project1
  - project2
  ... etc ...
branches
  ... etc ...

Now, let's say I only care about projects 3 and 5. So I:

svn co svn+ssh://server/repo/trunk --depth empty
svn up trunk/project3
svn up trunk/project5

Now, I want to create a private branch. So I:
cd trunk
svn cp -m "Create branch" ^/trunk ^/branches/myBranch
svn switch ^/branches/myBranch

Now, after some time, I want to merge from trunk, so I:
svn merge --depth=infinity ^/trunk

However, now I see a bunch of tree conflicts on some of the other projects that were not part of my checkout - and the merge takes _forever_.

Is this normal? I would expect the merge to ignore the folders I have not checked out. And why is this taking so long (taking 100% CPU on the server)? The repository I am using is quite large - but the sections I actually checked out are not.

Note that I actually DO want a sparse checkout of trunk, as I want to be able to create a branch and commit to my projects atomically.

Thanks!
SVN Merger.

RE: Merges into sparse working copies and tree conflicts

Posted by we...@tigris.org.
Yikes, it seems that this whole scenario is kind of useless given that reintegrate does not work on sparse checkouts.

Is that really a necessary precondition? Can't there be an --i-really-mean-it-and-i-know-full-well-what-i-am-doing override?

It seems to me that reintegrating into a sparse checkout can be a very valuable feature. Pretty please?

Thanks!

> Hello,
> I am having some problems with merges and am not sure if this is a bug or not. Server is 1.6.1, client is 1.6.1:
>
> Repository looks like this:
> trunk
>   - project1
>   - project2
>   ... etc ...
> branches
>   ... etc ...
>
> Now, let's say I only care about projects 3 and 5. So I:
>
> svn co svn+ssh://server/repo/trunk --depth empty
> svn up trunk/project3
> svn up trunk/project5
>
> Now, I want to create a private branch. So I:
> cd trunk
> svn cp -m "Create branch" ^/trunk ^/branches/myBranch
> svn switch ^/branches/myBranch
>
> Now, after some time, I want to merge from trunk, so I:
> svn merge --depth=infinity ^/trunk
>
> However, now I see a bunch of tree conflicts on some of the other projects that were not part of my checkout - and the merge takes _forever_.
>
> Is this normal? I would expect the merge to ignore the folders I have not checked out. And why is this taking so long (taking 100% CPU on the server)? The repository I am using is quite large - but the sections I actually checked out are not.
>
> Note that I actually DO want a sparse checkout of trunk, as I want to be able to create a branch and commit to my projects atomically.
>
> Thanks!
> SVN Merger.

RE: Merges into sparse working copies and tree conflicts

Posted by we...@tigris.org.
svn merge depth=infinity seems to be necessary with sparse checkouts, as otherwise the merge will do nothing (it will ignore project3 and project5 because the depth of trunk is empty).

RE: Merges into sparse working copies and tree conflicts

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> Now, after some time, I want to merge from trunk, so I:
> svn merge --depth=infinity ^/trunk

If you only want to merge to the depth in your WC... why are you
specifying infinity? It seems to be that if there are changes in folders
you don't have checked out then yes you will have tree conflicts because
those folders and files aren't on your WC. The merge is applied at the
client level not on the server.

As for why it takes so long... well... I can't answer that. The svn
dev's say wait for ver 1.7 for the resolution to that issue.

BOb