Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "OAKS,JOSEPH (Non-HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jo...@non.hp.com> on 2001/07/16 19:00:33 UTC

Building From Source

Hello, My name is Joe and this is the first time writing to this group.

I don't know Java, or programming, will not much anyway, some perl and some
shell scripting. Anyway my question is more on the Installation for others
to use the product.

I have about 200 HPUX server that I maintain, and in that we have a Release
Management System that we can push software packages out to all the servers
that are preconfigured because all our server are setup the same way.  What
I'm looking for is a directory structure where I can install everything.  On
our systems I have noticed that the following is required for our systems...

JAVA
JAXP
JSSE
MM
OpenSSL
mod_ssl
FLEX
Jakarta-Ant
Jakarta-Servletapi
Jakarta-Tomcat
Apache
mod_jk

all is straight forward until i get to the Jakarta part. I want to know if I
can set this up in a manner like this...
jakarta-ant = /opt/ims/jakarta/ant
jakarta-tomcat = /opt/ims/jakarta/tomcat
jakarta-servletapi = /opt/ims/jakarta/servletapi

that way the bin files are in each directory and they all have a diff path,
or am I totally off and they need to be in the same directory structure.

Thanks,

Joseph M. Oaks
Senior Systems Administrator
Infastructure Management Services
408.343.7441
joseph_oaks@non.hp.com <ma...@non.hp.com>

Re: Building From Source

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Joe,

I'm not sure whether you are asking the right people here, as all of
us will be using jakarta-ant, but probably many are using none of the
other things you've listed.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, JOSEPH OAKS <jo...@non.hp.com> wrote:

> I want to know if I can set this up in a manner like this...

> jakarta-ant = /opt/ims/jakarta/ant

Ant will work in whatever directory you install it, as long as you set
the environment variable ANT_HOME - at least it is supposed to.

> jakarta-tomcat = /opt/ims/jakarta/tomcat

I've installed Tomcat in several different directories on different
machines without any problems so far, setting TOMCAT_HOME correctly
should do the trick (but I'm running Tomcat in stand alone mode
without an external webserver).

> jakarta-servletapi = /opt/ims/jakarta/servletapi

AFAIK, all you really need is the library servlet.jar that you should
place into the CLASSPATH when building webapps or running Tomcat - the
binary distributions of Tomcat already include it.

Stefan